1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

VAT increase = increase to lesson charges?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Typhoon, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

I was going to say the same as dc88, but s/he got there first! A lot of costs and charges in many sectors undergo an annual increase in January - train fares are one which comes to mind, as well as of course the VAT! So in a sense, people almost tend to expect that charges will increase at this time of year and it's a good time to implement this. I agree, simply inform parents that your rates will go up to £20 per hour as of next month - you could explain it's to take account of increased petrol charges etc if you want to, but certainly I don't think you should be apologetic about it. You are offering a professional service after all and having to travel to them. Personally, I also think that £20 per hour for KS2 tuition is about right and not extortionate by any means (it's what I charge and £25 for GCSE). You are a whole year more experienced as a tutor now too, so I think it's a justifiable increase.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Do the maths and the VAT will cost you about £150 to £200 a year extra. You should be claiming petrol costs as mileage in your tax return so you can't really charge extra 40p / mile to a parent and then claim 40p / mile on your taxes.
    You also don't charge VAT on tuition I presume. Of course, you could increase your rates to £21 a session (but that is a pain of a number in cash)