1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Vast majority of teachers considered quitting...”

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Grandsire, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

No, I got your point, I just didn't agree with it all. See, I don't think my 'negativity' is that; it's honesty. Saying another job in finance (or sales, PR, hotels...there are indeed loads) - is just as bad as many UK schools seem to be getting is a bit like someone who escaped from Kim's camps in North Korea not being allowed to join in the Q&A session for survivors of the Mugabe regime. Pomza knows that I know he's a good manager. I think he finds it hard to believe that such managerial ineptitude exists, because often if you're doing a good job, it's hard to imagine others making a pig's breakfast of it. He also knows that I don't rate the bulk of New Order SLT very highly. Would you, if you were me?

2. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

This.
    It concerns me that some posters needing support may be deterred from posting by the attitudes of some on here.
    I work on supply (by choice, not 'managed-out'), and don't have any health or work problems (unless you count supply agencies:confused:). However, if I was needing some support (especially for stress /mental health issues), there are definitely some threads and posters I'd want to avoid.

FWIW, working on supply does give quite a unique insight. I've seen staff, from NQTs to SLT, stressed beyond belief and made ill by the job.

simonCOAL and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I have come across some pretty questionable managers. I've worked for a few of them too (fortunately for me, not recently though).

However, you are quite right that I am sometimes incredulous at some of the stories I read on here!

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I said 70K. And there are plenty of perfectly capable who would do it for 70K

It's costing not far short of 300K for two people to "run" these schools, plus whatever others on their board are getting - they only have two schools!

Because it all contributes to the decay of the system. This sort of thing really ***** off a lot of hardworking teachers who haven't had much of a pay rise for years and years.

5. Scintillant

It's always been like it. They used to try and deny there was even an issue a few years back.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

The market took a turn for the worse and it became very difficult to make any money, so I decided to do what I had always wanted to do. Frying pan into the fire.

Mrsmumbles and Pomza like this.
  7. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

WD?

8. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Workplace Dilemmas. Noob :rolleyes:

9. Mrsmumbles

That’s ok Pomzmeister. Capable and intelligent people often are stunned by ignorant ineptitude. When our SLT retired and the New Order commenced, a lot of us were. Then we were all kicked out, so dissent and disbelief was neatly silenced. Anyone with a pusscat avatar is fine in my book!

Pomza likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

I know! I was told off a lot by Really Quite Senior TES elders! Nowadays, the reality is so obvious.

11. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

You said they could get 2 heads for LA schools for the £110k and £115k salary being paid to the Executive Principal. Half of that is £55k to £57.5k not £70k.

12. Scintillant

I said what I said I said:

I am sure you will be able to provide the quote where I say that which you attribute to me above...

SomethingWicked and install like this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Happy to....

Since the school has 1600 pupils including a large 6th Form it's likely to be Group 8, so as an LA school its head's pay would be in the range £76,466 - £109,366 so what makes you think that plenty of people would be willing to be head for £70k, below the bottom of the pay range?

And why are you so determined to vilify this MAT when there is no evidence of excessive salaries compared to LAs? Instead of making out every MAT is run by evil money-grabbing monsters why don't you focus on those that actually are?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  14. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

I have no dog in this fight but I don't see where you got the notion to divide the salaries by two.

install and Scintillant like this.
  15. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

There are Moore quotes on here than an English lit exam!
    If we have nothing new to say can we just let the thread ease its journey into a zombie state!

Mrsmumbles, simonCOAL and Rott Weiler like this.
  16. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

Should say more quotes {predictive text)

install likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Well to my simple way of thinking if you say "Two schools can be run by a Local Authority at much lower cost" than the one Executive Principal in the MAT it can only mean that each LA school could appoint a headteacher for half the MAT salary. Otherwise it wouldn't be a much lower cost!

I agree, the whole reference to this obscure Essex MAT seems pointless and irrelevant to the thread (but in my own defence I didn't start it :)) and I should have left scintillant to it ages ago, apologies to the forum . I have nothing further to add.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  18. Scintillant

Which of course says nothing at all of that which you attributed to me.

You are clearly wrong.

I said 70k each for two HTs, Plain as day.

install likes this.
  19. Scintillant

But no-one said that.

install likes this.
  20. Scintillant

I disagree, although a minor case involving relatively small sums of public money compared to many other cases, it typifies the way schools are now being run and teachers very largely do not support such a system. The result is the situation we are in today with huge numbers of qualified, experienced teachers leaving and very few entering. So I see it as entirely relevant.

The only people I see defending the MAT system are those benefiting from it or those ideologically wedded to it. Very few teachers though.

I also note both people involved have been suspended.

install likes this.