1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Vast majority of teachers considered quitting...”

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Grandsire, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yet, intriguingly, Gove, the architect of much of this carnage, retains his cabinet position. May an infected North Sea fish rise up and slap plastic-based toxins on his rubbery lips!

2. Mrsmumbles

Possibly that lass as well, but I think it was this guy who said it first:

'...in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods.

It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.
    — Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, vol. I, ch. X I
    Thus, according to Hitler, the "Big Lie" was a propaganda technique typically used by "the Jews". (because Hitler was a moronic anti-semitic bell)

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The fact that we have no idea what he might do when he's not being aggressive towards approaches from our elected representatives speaks for itself. These are such vital roles that we don't have the first idea what they encompass

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Perhaps - But, just because we don't know how a complete stranger spends his working day, doesn't necessarily mean he isn't doing a decent or valid job.

I don't really like the idea of condemning a person we really know nothing about at all, basically on the grounds that he is paid a high salary. (Although from scanning through, I can see there is some dispute over how substantial his remuneration really is, relatively speaking.)

He publishes his direct email address - Drop him a line a find out what he does.

(Then come back and tell us!) :)

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Tes is an amazing place - Thread starts like this...

Scroll down a bit and someone's quoting Mein Kampf!

Mrsmumbles and SomethingWicked like this.
  6. Scintillant

I'll wait to see the outcome of the suspension of both people involved first.

Regardless, I do not think schools need to be organised like this and very few teachers I know think so either. I think it has been nothing short of a national scandal what has happened to schools and teachers, how communities have been ignored and people have been allowed to misuse public funds while RSCs etc have turned so many blind eyes I'd be amazed if they can see anything anymore.

In terms of the nature of the CEO role and what it involves, it appears we're not the only ones somewhat in the dark.
    https://community.tes.com/threads/h...ools-because-of-academy-ceos-salaries.773941/

bessiesmith and Mrsmumbles like this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Variety is the spice of life! Did you notice how I covered several continents of dictators?! MATS have to make do with counties ..

drek and Pomza like this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Just you wait. I reckon Harris have got enough personnel to annex a small sovereign state. Maybe one of the Baltics...

SomethingWicked and Mrsmumbles like this.
  9. Scintillant

They get through more personnel than a Russian infantry battalion in Stalingrad did...

SomethingWicked, Mrsmumbles and Pomza like this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

Yep. It’s on the cards. Heil Harris!

JL48 likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Indeed. They not only have guards, they put guards on the guards. They purge staff...personnel pogroms....

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I suppose Croydon is a fairly suitable place to construct a Gulag camp...

Mrsmumbles and Idiomas11 like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Escape from Croydon - everybody else has.

Mrsmumbles and Idiomas11 like this.
  14. haharr

haharr New commenter

Just read that Emma Kell article on "challenging but worth it" etc. Hilarious - so, then, as long as all the other options are poor, we should just accept our lot and work ridiculous extra nonsense to maintain the illusion of progress in schools. Why not just employ robots and bouncers? They won't complain about principles or integrity, the students won't move from their seats, and they'll certainly generate the ludicrous spoon fed grades demanded to order...

Mrsmumbles, Idiomas11 and Scintillant like this.
  15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Come friendly bombs and fall on Croydon...

As for quitting the teaching profession, I think that is a silly idea. Teaching is a wonderful job, just as long as you don't do it in the UK. Having left the UK in 1998, I have been teaching in Kenya, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Romania, Qatar, the UAE and now China.

Mrsmumbles, JL48 and englishdragon like this.
  16. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@the hippo Thanks.

I did not read through the middle pages of this thread, but I must admit, after the first two pages I started wondering when someone would starting thinking outside the box, or perhaps more accurately, outside the shores of Jolly Mother England.

The UK salary scale appears to be kinder than some parts of the US:
    https://www.nytimes.com/video/opinion/100000005847432/red-arizona-republican-teacher-strike.html

The fault with England, Australia, Canada, USA (etc.) is that education (and every other aspect of life) is now caught in the wonderful 'Iron Cage' of bureaucracy, a self perpetuating organism that feeds on numbers, and an insatiable demand for more and more numbers. These numbers end up having very little to do with quality of the desired product, but everything to do with the yawning hunger (like an open hippo jaw) of the pen pushing minions inside the cage.

"In sociology, the iron cage is a term coined by Max Weber for the increased rationalization inherent in social life, particularly in Western capitalist societies. The "iron cage" thus traps individuals in systems based purely on teleological efficiency, rational calculation and control."

Real "international" schools are somewhat able to escape the iron cage and actually retain the primary focus on quality of both teaching and student learning. Find a good international school, there are many around the world, where teaching can be fun and it is possible to save a significant percentage of one's take home pay.

I use the term "real" as a point of discrimination between the despicable rent-a-name business ventures (not actually schools) popping up all over China. Better to stay inside the iron cage of Jolly Mother England, even as a driving instructor, than get slaughtered by the Empress Dowager and her offspring in one of these businesses.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  17. drek

drek Lead commenter

Check the home office policies. They might think you are a foreigner now and not allow you back in lol

JL48 and Mrsmumbles like this.
  18. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Occasional commenter

Emma Kell = Clueless. Not sure what planet she's on

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  19. Mrsmumbles

Actually, I've taught six hours today, at home, with increasingly confused, stressed and demoralised kids. I'd like to rejoin a school, but I can't, because I feel as bad as the kids do. I am very much in the teaching game, just mopping up/improving/.enriching the students outside the increasingly noisy, chaotic and toxic classrooms. With no pension. Yes, I had a great appraisal one term, in the July. The next academic year, it bombed. So Summer turns us into suck-at-t-suddenly teachers, huh? Like heck! It's a scam. The fact that you have literally no personal experience of how BAD some schools are, that I'm prepared to do this medium term rather than risk getting bent over and shafted by another possibly bullying employer - well, it speaks volumes. You tend to negate (or balance out) the many bleak but frank posts on here by saying your school's amazing, your school systems are great. Some of your and others' comments are starting to sound a bit impatient and a tad ageist. Pomza, it wasn't that long ago that I've been 'out', but by God, it feels better to be on a hand to mouth existence and have my life and brain space back that the past 5 years I endured Psycho Heights. Many schools do suck and I do think yours is the exception to the rule. Obviously you wont fully appreciate this unless/until you move onto pastures new. Then the difficulties with job progression emerge - unless you know all the HTS and DHTs and are regularly communing with one another on the increasingly pathetic and sprawling SLT grapevines.... We mere mortals are not! I don't think you fully empathise with or know what I and others are talking about. I'm sure you're a good manager, in your own school...but.....a little more humility and empathy towards older posters wouldn't go amiss. I'd take an older experienced teacher over a smug 'on the jobber' any day of the week.

woollani and Compassman like this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

Hate to say this but I think they ARE now starting to employ robots and bouncers. Rumour has it that Gibb is an actual droidbot. The entire DFE droid workforce now intone ‘more teachers than ever before’, ‘higher standards than ever before’ ‘it’s the best of all possible worlds’ on some kind of digital repeat. The nightmare is real!