1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“Vast majority of teachers considered quitting...”

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Grandsire, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

More than 80% of teachers have considered quitting teaching in the past year, according to the Guardian, reporting a poll by the NEU. The NASUWT’s poll found 65% had ‘seriously considered’ leaving the profession.

What more needs to be said about the crisis in Britain’s education system than that? Well done, Mr Wilshaw...

Here’s the link. It tells you nothing we didn’t already know about staff morale.
    https://www.theguardian.com/educati...eachers-considered-quitting-in-past-year-poll

2. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Heard this so often before.
    Strike? Didn't the gov change the law not so long ago?
    Pay rise? How long long will it take people to get that the price of housing is THE problem in this country?

Bumptious, BetterNow and stonerose like this.
  3. thekillers

thekillers Established commenter

Let’s be honest: career politicians are concerned about themselves like pen pushers from academy schools - who cares about staff morale? As long as the data’s there with the appropriate Ofsted report, all is well.

Strike? Ignore.

High turnover? Provide appropriate reasons with no or manipulated interview exits, supplied by a dodgy reference.

I never had an exit interview from some schools, knowing they were **** and hid this from the school governors, in case an investigation was ordered.

BetterNow, stonerose and JohnJCazorla like this.
  4. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Occasional commenter

Yep.
    I'm just about hanging on doing supply. I'm applying to train as a driving instructor.

Sad waste of a degree and PGCE, but I can't work for another corrupt academy and be given the message that I "must do better" like a naughty kid all the time, while the bosses drive around in jags and never step foot inside a classroom.

5. tonymars

tonymars Occasional commenter

Really baxter? What's the pay like?

6. baxterbasics

Around 25 to 35k depending where you live an how successful you are. So pretty much the same!

Ok, all jobs have their downsides, but I can't imagine the same amount of bullying, hypocrisy and b*sh*t that has overtaken teaching.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You know what - I think I'd rather stay a teacher than be a driving instructor.

You get pupils like my wife.

8. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm New commenter

I would imagine that the same could be said for nurses, police and many other worthy but often thankless jobs.

Being a positive teacher doesn’t
    Mean that you’re happy all the time.

It means that even on hard days
    when you are worn out and feeling
    like your patience has been tested
    to the limit … you make a plan for
    a better tomorrow and show up to
    greet your students with a smile.

9. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

OMG Where have you been working......and more specifically how long? o_O:rolleyes:

hecate and woollani like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Aren't most driving instructors self employed though? All the ones I've known have been. So a comparison with the equivalent teaching salary would be misleading. A self employed driving instructor would presumably get no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension, no job security, no employment rights....?

Personally I'd find being a driving instructor incredibly stressful but I guess not everyone would feel the same way about it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    thekillers and Pomza like this.
  11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Many people are somewhat mislead about the benefits of becoming driving instructors. They often end-up entering into what are essentially franchise agreements with companies who charge them to use their brand and to lease a vehicle, with the promise that they will direct lots of clients their way as a result of their national advertising/website etc.. Often then, the claims about how much business the instructor will be referred turn out to be exaggerated and the individual is left struggling to make a living after they have paid their contractual overheads...

Proceed with caution.

12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

At present, people could do a lot worse than work as a self-employed supply teacher... or go as PAYE if you prefer. Schools will snap you up, especially if you work for them preferentially. For some reason, they're looking for experienced teachers with safe hands to do it now...:D:D:D

Given that agencies charge upwards of £240 and often more in some parts of the country and schools are beyond desperate. You could work every day if you wanted.

The only real benefits in teaching are the pension. A lot of the others have gone out of the window.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    stonerose and eljefeb90 like this.
  13. simonCOAL

simonCOAL New commenter

I support anyone who wants to try something else and has the courage to do it. Too many spend their whole career moaning but do nothing about it. They retire and get resentful and bitter, then try to tell others to do what they never had the cojones to do.

I left twice and came back. The grass isn’t always greener, but can be.

Like Pom says: proceed with caution.

If you think leaving takes guts, try admitting that things haven’t worked out and you’d like to get back in!
    And it’s normally the nasty, resentful complainers who glory in your error of judgement. Add jealousy to their list.

I reckon I came back a better teacher each time.

Genuine best wishes to anyone taking the jump. I hope things work out well.

14. bevdex

bevdex Star commenter

Respect simon - respect. I will be leaving at the end of summer 2019 - retiring. I have LOVED teaching - it's all the other bullc**p I can't stand.

Bumptious and stonerose like this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Let us know how you get on. Are you training with one of the big companies like RED or doing it yourself? What is the qualification you need?

16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

After that crack make sure you don't step in front of the car while she's at the wheel!

tosh740, stonerose and bevdex like this.
  17. baxterbasics

Hope to do it with the AA - you can see all the info on there. I'm never going to get back into permanent teaching again; there are no benefits to what I do now in supply teaching, so I need an exit route and a frank admission that I have failed, or it just never worked out for me.

stonerose and Shedman like this.
  18. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

I am one of those who has 'seriously considered' leaving in the last 12 months. I haven't because I don't know how else I can earn the same money without doing lots of retraining. For me it's not actually workload that is the problem (I work part-time). The issue is the sense of fear that the results and/or next lesson observation won't be good enough.
    I used to feel really optimistic at this time of year gathering in coursework and motivating my GCSE classes to revise but now I'm just thinking that if one of the 12 students (music) underachieves or the one pupil premium boy fails to hit his target there will be a huge load of stress generated with follow up meetings and 'support' to work out what went wrong. (Child didn't revise hard enough?). If anyone overachieves no-one will notice, however.

19. simonCOAL

simonCOAL New commenter

No! Not a failure. As you say, it didn’t work out for you. No shame in that.

Good luck with your new venture.

Edit: Bessie posted seconds before my reply to bax

stonerose and bevdex like this.
  20. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

I used to think that I had failed. I do not allow myself now to think this way, because I firmly believe that systems and processes at many levels of what used to be a National Education Service failed me, and if only half of the many posts on this site are true, it has failed countless others.

It took a move to another workplace to totally reverse assessments of my capabilities (from barely 'satisfactory' to 'outstanding'o_Oo_Oo_O). Don't necessarily think of yourself as the failure. Others have clearly failed you and the teachers who have left, or are desperate to leave.

Good luck and best wishes.

bevdex and BetterNow like this.