1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Varnishing air drying clay?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Spinachthellama2, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Any advice of what to use to varnish air drying clay? We have no varnish at school so I wanted to find something cheap to buy that is readily available - also ideally something that the children can use themselves. The clay has been painted with a mixture of powder paint and PVA so already has a tiny bit of a sheen to it.
    Thanks.

2. Any advice of what to use to varnish air drying clay? We have no varnish at school so I wanted to find something cheap to buy that is readily available - also ideally something that the children can use themselves. The clay has been painted with a mixture of powder paint and PVA so already has a tiny bit of a sheen to it.
    Thanks.

3. We use a standard glossy glaze made for children, but you could use slightly watered down PVA solution over the top now which would give a sheen too.

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

Do you have to varnish it? I've got some decorative pieces that have been on my windowsill for about 7 years and I even occasionally run them under the tap quickly to wash off the dust. They have no paint on. On paper you can use a spray-on craft varnish over powder paint but you would have to do it yourself (not the children).