1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Van Jones is right

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Abdul_Muttalib, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Abdul_Muttalib

Abdul_Muttalib New commenter

2. janavis467

janavis467 New commenter

He's right.

It's not the racists that need to change, it's the ones who think they're not racist.

It's not enough to be not racist, we need to be anti-racist.

It's not enough to treat all people the same, regardless of skin colour, because to treat all people the same is to close our eyes the very different realities they live.
    It's not enough to treat that black man as you would treat any white man without asking yourself how is his life?
    How many times has he been insulted or threatened or attacked today or this week or this month because of his skin colour?
    How many times has he been stopped by the police, "randomly", in a situation where I, with my white skin, would have been waved through?
    How many times has he been refused entry to or asked to leave a place just because of his skin colour?
    How many times has he been looked at with fear and suspicion just because of his skin colour?
    How many times did he not get that job, not get that promotion, that payrise just because of his skin colour?
    How long has he been been protesting peacefully and had his protests ignored?

If you cannot see that his life is different from yours just because if his skin colour, you're living in a bubble, a bubble of white privilege.
    If you do see it and don't challenge it, then you're not anti-racist.

Subs he/his for she/hers here or black for asian, arab, latino, polish, romanian or whatever you want. They all get it.

3. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Lead commenter

Alex will be along in a minute. He knows more about racism towards black people than actual black people.He will soon put you right.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If all the racists are of one race, won't it be racist to be anti-racist?

xmal, Kandahar and alex_teccy like this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I can only take people as I find them, I don't have the resources to investigate their lives and lineage as I am sure they don't have the resources to investigate mine.

6. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

You're the one with all the answers Spoofy.

artboyusa and Kandahar like this.
  7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No. Obviously.

8. LondonCanary

Working on it.

9. Spoofer4114

Don't dilly dally with me Alex. Get stuck into the OP.

I have popcorn on the stove.

ajrowing likes this.
  10. LondonCanary

Not obviously, Herr Stahl.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No, really.

Herr Travis

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

That'll come as a relief to a few on here ...

13. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

I suspect I’m talking with him right now.

14. Abdul_Muttalib

Abdul_Muttalib New commenter

This is true on a deep level. But we must also recognise that white Britons need to be more so than people of colour. Racism is a white British disease.

I would prefer if all people responding on here made plain their race so we can know how seriously to take their words.

15. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

So... you want to spread the message that people should be treated differently depending on their "race", which is a really loosely defined concept anyway? Could that not backfire?

That seems like the opposite approach to places like https://mcsbrent.co.uk/about-us/ where personal responsibility and agency are taught, with amazing outcomes.

George_Randle and lanokia like this.
  16. Spoofer4114

I was thinking about creating a sock puppet to post a Van Jones video as well. Looks like Abdul beat me to it.

What about janavis467? Do you think this new commenter is me? He talks a lot of sense so it could be.

17. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Sadly rarely correct.

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Who says he isn't one. There's a lot of it about with the return of Gene and MAJ.

monicabilongame likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That's an interesting counter example...

20. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Exactly. People are people regardless of their colour, ethnicity, sexuality, gender or anything else that has previously been seen as a division.

And (I know this will open a storm of protest) it’s not only white people that can be racist. In fact the video in the OP could be seen as racist, implying that all white people have a ‘racism virus’.