1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Van der Graaff generator

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pink_reindeer, Feb 5, 2012.

1. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Can somebody explain to me, in simple terms how one works. I have a vague idea, but am not very good at putting it into words. I've found a good video clip but it's on youtube. From looking on another thread, have tried to convert it from a youtube clip, with no luck :-(

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The rubber belt rubs against a brush at the bottom. This transfers electrons (negaite charge) to the belt. The charge is carried up to the top where a wire rubs against the belt and removes the electrons. thyese build up on the big silver dome, which is designed to have no sharp corners so that the charge is evenly spread out. The charge cannot go anywhere because the dome is held up by an insulator. Eventually enough charge builds up that it can jump to nearby objects that are attached to earth. Objects that are not earthed but touching the dome will also have charge transferred to them, thus if you are insulated from the ground but touching the dome then you will become charged and wierd things like your hair standing on end occur. The hairs, all being negativly charged, try to repel each other and end up trying to get as far away from each other as they can.

A really good experiment with the VdG is to get a dozen or so aluminium foil pie dishes. Place them in a stack, dish downwards on top of the dome and switch on. As the charge builds the top dish will rise off the pile followed in turn by the rest of the dishes.

3. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Blazer, that's brilliant. Thanks so much. I have already done the pie dish thing, but it was rushed at the end of last leson so I'm going to do it again tomorrow. Your explanation is fab too. Thanks again!

4. Does anyone know how to clip an aneuryism of the posterior inferior cerebellar artery? I'm doing a brain operation tomorrow and I haven't got a clue. ;¬))
    <h1>
    </h1>

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I just put on their CD and off we go ....

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I thought it was about the band too.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I usually use garden twine.