1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Value' for money?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Supernova_Scotia, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Trying to economise, I bought a large tub of 'Value' ready-made egg mayonaise sandwich filler at the supermarket the other day. After one mouthful, my son said, "Is this a different brand to the one you usually buy, it tastes very strange?" I said,"Perhaps it's off. What does it taste of?" He replied, "Vinegar and poverty."

2. Trying to economise, I bought a large tub of 'Value' ready-made egg mayonaise sandwich filler at the supermarket the other day. After one mouthful, my son said, "Is this a different brand to the one you usually buy, it tastes very strange?" I said,"Perhaps it's off. What does it taste of?" He replied, "Vinegar and poverty."

3. I like your son's way with words.

:)

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Please explain how this is economising?
    Surely it's cheaper to boil a couple of eggs, chop and add mayo?

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I love it [​IMG]

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Does your son post on here under the username 'Sea Pink', CK?

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

PMSL!!! [​IMG]

8. Belle du Jour - thanks for the tip! By the way - what does PMSL stand for. As for posting on TES - son is more of a 'harsh-and-unfair'. Oh, and when you boil an egg, do you put egg into boiling water or cold water and time it from when it boils? Son did a catering course but gave up after one term and got a job in McDonalds - they pour the egg out of a carton, I believe.

9. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Pee My Self Laughing

10. lilachardy

Doesn't matter if you're hard boiling it.
    It only matters if you want it soft boiled - in which case you put it into boiling water and time it from there.

11. Into boiling water and time from there. Put the egg gets a *****, to stop it exploding or cracking.
    When using a pan. I nowadays use an egg boiler.

12. So, let me see if I've got this right. I need a *****, boiling water and a pan OR an egg boiler. Thanks, I can see I have a lot to learn.

13. lilachardy

I've never pricked an egg.

Hard boiling an egg is easy... honest!

Put egg in water (just enough to cover it), switch on the heat, and then allow it to boil for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain it, cover in cold water, and allow the egg to cool.
    Voila!

14. Thank you. I will let you know how I get on.

15. lilachardy

Peel before eating.

16. I always ***** my eggs.