1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Value for money or self-serving corruption?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lanokia, Nov 12, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...e-earning-salaries-excess-£100000-study-shows

More than 1,000 heads are earning in excess of £100,000 a year, according to research from the TaxPayers' Alliance.

It highlights the pay of the heads of two east London secondaries - one who its says earned £279,000 in 2013/14 and another £220,000.

In all, amid pay freezes across the public sector and several teaching staff strikes in 2013/14, there were 110 school leaders who received annual remuneration greater than £150,000.

The research, compiled from Freedom of Information requests and analysis of annual statements of accounts, took into account employees' salaries along with expenses and allowances.

Jonathan Isaby, chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: "Taxpayers will not begrudge an inspiring headteacher or world-class academic a good salary if they produce great results and motivate their students, but too often this is not what we find.

"The pay and perks enjoyed by those working at our schools and universities - and indeed across the entire public sector - must more accurately reflect how well they are doing their jobs."

drek likes this.
  2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The total remuneration package for a CEO in UK is from £49,000 to £226,000 with a median of just under £100k. No information about size of companies to go with that.

At first glance the figures are in the same ballpark but I have no idea whether we can compare these figures on a like for like basis.

Exactly how do you reflect how well they are doing their jobs? This is back to the arguments about PRP.

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Pig racing reminds me of PRP..

irs1054 likes this.
  5. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Compared with what seems to be current PRP practice in many schools, pig racing is the more sensible activity.;)

lanokia likes this.
  6. darklord11

darklord11 Occasional commenter

Greedy self serving A Holes
    If you are wanting the very best for the children in your care you don't take out a huge financial amount of the school budget.
    No head teacher if worth more than good teacher, never mind the pay for upto 4 very experienced staff.

drek likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You make a good point @irs1054

I'd suggest from my experience of PRP that ...

1. It is impossible to 'measure' the performance of a teacher by any objective standard.

2. That the purpose of PRP is not to 'reward' good teachers but to suppress pay inflation in a time of self-imposed austerity.

drek likes this.
  8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I would certainly not disagree on point one and, from the evidence of these forums, it is rapidly becoming worse.

With point 2, I would agree that it seems how PRP has come to be, but the original intention I feel was genuine though not for any altruistic reason. I simply think that Gove could not see the consequences of his actions and nor can any of the others.

I looked the figures for CEOs thinking they might be rather different to what they were. They seem to match the range for HTs suspiciously well. I wonder if some HTs haven't read the same website before their pay negotiations.;)

lanokia and drek like this.