1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Value added measure

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by smiler1234uk, Jun 24, 2011.

1. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Thanks.
    As can be seen from your link, only Level 2 is divided into a, b and c.
    Why is this?
    All other levels are whole levels. Secondary schools should only deal in whole levels whereas Primary schools appear to deal in whole levels but with level 2 divided (I teach in a secondary school).

2. ABC grades are reported at end ks1, however, most schools use fine grading to better measure progress and inform teaching throughout their time in school End of ks2 assessments are whole level, both test and teacher assessment, however, most schools will work out a rough a,b,c fine grade to see where a child lies in the vast space that is a 3-4 or 5, this info is often fed to secondary schools, but, as is my experience, many don't want to know, relying on cat testing etc... which might well explain why progress in the schools we feed is so poor, 38% students gaining maths and english GCSE a*-c!!!!!

3. ....I know that many, more successful, secondary schools use fine grading too,

4. chrisoakey

chrisoakey Occasional commenter

Do any teachers really still believe in this pseudo maths?
    The emperor's new clothes is a great story is it not?