1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Valuables in PE - how do you deal with it?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by zipsafe, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hello - I hope it's OK to do a little market research here (if not please feel free to move to Marketplace).
    As a PE teacher who lost mobile phones and money in lessons (as they weren't labelled and were dumped in a biscuit tin), I created ZipSafe. ZipSafe bags are small cotton bags that students can put valuables in and write their names on them.
    I am keen to learn how departments deal with valuables - some do have a bag system whilst others just state to the students that valuables are there at their own risk and should be left at home.
    I set up ZipSafe really as a solution to my problem and wondered whether there would be a lot of demand for it nationally? The bags are made from Fairtrade, organic cotton.
    If anyone would like some free bags (pack of 10) then e-mail info@zipsafe.co.uk with your school address. Would appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

2. Hello - I hope it's OK to do a little market research here (if not please feel free to move to Marketplace).
    As a PE teacher who lost mobile phones and money in lessons (as they weren't labelled and were dumped in a biscuit tin), I created ZipSafe. ZipSafe bags are small cotton bags that students can put valuables in and write their names on them.
    I am keen to learn how departments deal with valuables - some do have a bag system whilst others just state to the students that valuables are there at their own risk and should be left at home.
    I set up ZipSafe really as a solution to my problem and wondered whether there would be a lot of demand for it nationally? The bags are made from Fairtrade, organic cotton.
    If anyone would like some free bags (pack of 10) then e-mail info@zipsafe.co.uk with your school address. Would appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

3. Hi!
    I am having a similar sort of problem! Pupils hand in valuables and then take the wrong ones by mistake (sometimes on purpose) and now dont want to hand them in! Some have their phones on them in lesson which causes some disruption and I end up having a ton of valuables in my own pockets etc.

Can the zipsafe bags be reused in terms of putting names on etc or is it just a case of having a batch for each class?
    Thanks!

4. Hello,
    The idea behind ZipSafe is that pupils take ownership of their valuables and write their name on their ZipSafe bag. Once their name has been written on the bag it is theirs and can't really be re-used for anyone else. Sometimes it is the case that not the same member of staff collects and hands back the valuables. With a name on the bag it becomes a lot easier to know who owns what.
    The other system is to have say 40 bags numbered 1-40. Teachers would then number each pupil in the class and give them that number. So if pupil 'no.14' wanted to hand in their phone they would put it in bag 14. Teachers can therefore hand back valuables quite easily. With this system you could have 40 bags which could be re-used for many classes.
    I've noticed some schools are stating to pupils that they will only accept valuables in a 'named valuables bag'. Some are putting valuables bags on uniform lists whilst others are directing pupils to where to buy valuables bags. Therefore if a pupil loses their valuables, and a parent comes into school and asks 'what are you doing to protect their child's valuables' then the school can state that they use the 'ZipSafe' system. They can say that all pupils have been told the valuables policy and know where to purchase a ZipSafe bag should they need a mobile phone / valuables in school.
    If you would like some bags let me know - info@zipsafe.co.uk
    Many thanks!