1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Valuable and engaging geographical opportunities? Stuck student teacher in need of your help!!

Discussion in 'Geography' started by bnickster, Dec 30, 2014.

1. I have to plan a mind map for that must include some valuable and engaging geographical opportunities for ks1 children. I have read that an engaging starting point should be used at the start of a new topic and would really appreciate any suggestions and ideas for this and any other engaging opportunities. My chosen topic is Around the world.

Student teacher in need of your help!!

2. Pictures/Images

The Globe

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I suggest you start with their existing experiences of Geography. What can you see from school? Where can they find, around the world, that is similar/different? Do you have the opportunity to do some geog on the school site? I have ks3 but we're going to investigate what happens to rain when it reaches the ground once we have hypothesized. Have seen lovely ideas about adopting a puddle to learn about evaporation and the water cycle. Around the world is a massive topic and you can't possibly do it all; have a look at the NC and suggest you narrow it. I'd be inclined to go where is like where we live, then go to the other extreme. Then you can introduce a 'hook' like an exotic fruit or a plant that might intrigue them. Don't be afraid t o be imaginative and run it past your mentor/tutor - everything is Geography (or with a bit of imagination it can be!) Good luck

4. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter