1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Valerian baths for sleeplessness

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Minafeet, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dear all,
    I'm a student teacher and I've been sleeping badly - feeling sleepness for a few hours after going to bed, and also waking up with a panic at about 5, when I have discovered the joys of valerian! I tried this bath soak that has valerian and hops in it (it doesn't smell very nice tbh, but I'm growing to love it) and I actually nearly fell asleep in the bath. It's potent. When I'm not in the mood for a bath I shower with the plug in and let it fill up with a bit of valerian and the whole flat smells of it :) It's worth it! Now 9.30pm every night I am drowsy.
    I've moved onto the tea, it works but really smells too awful to swallow. Anyway I know that lots of teachers out there suffer from sleeplessness so I hope this works for someone who reads this. My quality of life has improved so much!
    Best, Mina
    PS the brand is Kneipp.

2. Dear all,
    I'm a student teacher and I've been sleeping badly - feeling sleepness for a few hours after going to bed, and also waking up with a panic at about 5, when I have discovered the joys of valerian! I tried this bath soak that has valerian and hops in it (it doesn't smell very nice tbh, but I'm growing to love it) and I actually nearly fell asleep in the bath. It's potent. When I'm not in the mood for a bath I shower with the plug in and let it fill up with a bit of valerian and the whole flat smells of it :) It's worth it! Now 9.30pm every night I am drowsy.
    I've moved onto the tea, it works but really smells too awful to swallow. Anyway I know that lots of teachers out there suffer from sleeplessness so I hope this works for someone who reads this. My quality of life has improved so much!
    Best, Mina
    PS the brand is Kneipp.

3. Any links? Or where do you buy it from and what is it actually called?
    Sleepy too [​IMG]

4. Melissa and valerian is my favourite mix... grown in the garden and steeped in the bath.
    I use other herbs too as you shouldn't use valerian for too long and not at all if pregnant. It can make you dizzy or feel depressed (it is a herbal benzodiazapeme, often used as a transitional replacement for long term users). It can also cause dull stomach aches.
    And no, it doesn't always taste pleasant so it usually comes with other herbs/flavours. I think the most common one is lime, available in supermarkets.