1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

valentine's day is ****

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Sorry Cosmos but romance still lives at our house after also being married for a very long time!! A dozen red roses and card from Mr M !! The old softie!!

2. Thanks for that magmac, I feel soooooooooooo much better! I'm not complaining about the lack of effort on vaelntine's day - it just seems less important nowadays. There are other ways, and times, to show affection. I don't need roses on the day to know that I am still loved. Actually mr C said he'd be b*ggred if he was going to spend £40 on flowers, he'd rather give me the money.... must wrest it from his sticky mitts when he comes home tonight! It can go towards my new clothes fund.

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Where I volunteer one of the workers rushed off unexpectedly - his partner, who had health problems,had suddenly died.
    I hardly know the man but felt quite stunned at the awful randomness of the blow. I don't suppose the fact that it was Valentine's Day made it any worse.
    Some of you had a real **** time yesterday. Look after yourselves. If it wasn't for the bad times would we ever really know what it's like to be happy, or contented for that matter.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That's awful.....really sad [​IMG]

5. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Hi Manashee, I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear what happened yesterday.
    Did it come out of the blue or had you had some warning?
    Our department went through a restructure,consultations and redundancies last year and it took about 18 months from start to finish. I am not sure whether it was a good thing or not having the uncertainty hanging over people all the time like that or if it is better for it just to happen quickly.
    Have a hug from me. x

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks, moonpenny.
    Not a word of warning. Our whole team's been axed. Looking back I realise there were signs that at the time I dismissed as me just being paranoid. Not even entitled to redundancy as we've been there less than 2 years. One months notice pay and that's it.
    Trying to be positive, but I'm struggling TBH.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Of course its ****. Its made up sh*t to sell more cards, flowers, and choccies.

8. St.Valentine's day has been around a lot longer than Hallmark.

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh ****! I been thinking about you all day as i read your posts this morning but didn't get a chance to respond. Wee hen [​IMG] I really feel for you. You were so kind and sympathetic to me only 2 weeks ago when Mr Kibosh had the sword of damacles hanging over his head (he was very lucky btw and has been saved the chop for now). How utterly c.rap for you.
    Pook pook [​IMG]

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks, kibosh. Really glad Mr K has been spared.
    Really need to work on job app tonight but I just feel knackered. Want my bed.

11. Manashee - that's totally sh*t, poor you. I hope you get another job soon. Being made redundant is a horrible feeling. :(

12. Sorry cosmos!! I came across as being very smug!! Didn't mean to. To be honest we usually don't succumb to the pressures of the day as you mentioned there are many other ways to show love and appreciation at all times. We have been going through a stressful time lately so needed to give ourseves a boost!!

13. PS Manashee hope you get another job soon! So sorry.

14. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Bloody hell - that's an awful situation to find yourself in and must have been a real shock.