1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Val, is he telling the truth?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sidinz, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Dear Mod,
    On the NZ megathread a particular individual claims that various posts have been removed due to name-calling and threats of violence (against him). Yet the thread remains.
    In my experience, when a poster breaks the rules, the entire thread is pulled.
    So, is he telling the truth? Have individual posts been removed from that thread?
    If so, it begs the question: if that thread can be tidied up without being pulled, then why are other threads not treated the same way? Why are the innocent punished along with the guilty? Valuable information is often lost forever when an entire thread is deleted instead of just the offending post.
    Thanks for clearing this up.

2. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Tes tend to make a judgment call, if there are a few abusive posts on a big thread and they can be pulled without ruining the thread, then they pullthem.

If the whole thread degenerates into name calling and abuse, they tend to pull the thread.

If a thread names a school that pays TES for advertising, the thread gets pulled.

3. But why? Several times I have seen highly informative threads about life in a particular country get pulled because on the twenty-somethingth post someone mentioned a school by name.
    Why can't they make a judgement call on that one and only delete the relevant post?

4. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

The TES staff like deleting threads. Perhaps it gives some meaning to their lives.
    On the other hand, I have just had a post of mine altered by the mods. I wrote "***" instead of "***", so the mods changed it to "xxxx". Is this a sign of a change of heart from the moderators? A belated New Year's resolution?
    I have to say that the forum's rules are absolutely clear and so I do get a bit fed up with people who start moaning because they have had a thread deleted after naming a particular school, such as Eton College, or mentioning a specific individual, such as Mr Wackford Squeers.

5. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

The rumours concerning Mr Squeers were unfounded. I am disappointed that his name is constantly repeated on these forums. Please give the poor chap a chance.

6. He is working at our place...what has he done?