1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vacuum for Pets

Discussion in 'Personal' started by saluki, Jan 20, 2020.

1. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Has anyone got experience of the best vacuum for a large long haired dog? (For the carpet not the dog).
    My upright Dyson, keeps getting clogged up. I'm having to dismantle it and clean the brush bar weekly. I'm getting fed up. Its nearly 20 years' old so I think I deserve a new one.
    If I buy an 'animal' will I still have the same problem? The 'shark' says it has no tangle on its brush bar. Is that true? The most highly rated model for pets is a cylinder type and I prefer an upright. Although I have a Dyson cylinder.
    I have also considered a 'Harry'

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Our dog will do the dishes but draws the line at dusting, let alone vacuuming.

ajrowing, nomad, bevdex and 7 others like this.
  3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Miéle Cat and Dog, brilliant with dog hair.

nizebaby and Jamvic like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm not sure there's a good vacuum for any dog - surely they all breathe air?

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You're lucky. The cat refuses to do anything,apart from washing his own clothes.

ajrowing, Jamvic, primarycat and 2 others like this.
  6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I have a Hetty (female version of Henry - she's pink with eyelashes...)
    She is 11 years old and deals effortlessly with the fur of two ginger cats. No gimmicks, just an effective vacuum cleaner.

nizebaby and Jamvic like this.
  7. HistoryEducator

HistoryEducator Occasional commenter

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Whereas I broke 3 Dysons in as many years, which caused me to turn to Hetty.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We have just bought a Vax air lift steerable pet. It's light, easy to manoeuvre and has impressive suction (oooh er! :oops::p).

Jamvic, primarycat and BertieBassett2 like this.
  10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you tried our Shark vacuum with a small pooch I reckon poochie would last the same as with a real shark. Visions of a small terrier whizzing round inside the dust compartment.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

This one doubles up as a fairground ride for the pet.

primarycat likes this.
  12. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

I hear good things about Sharks.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I love my Shark. It also has lights on the front so you can actually see the hair you're hoovering. Highly recommend.

Jamvic likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I employ professional cleaning companies to clean the estate I manage and they invariably seem to use Henry vacuum cleaners. I know there are more substantial vacuum cleaners made for the professional market, but it's horses for courses. Industrial vacuum cleaners aren't so good for stairs and since the cleaning companies often employ women, it's more important that the vacuum cleaners don't weigh a ton, because they need to be hauled out of vans and carried to wherever they are cleaning.

They tell me they find Henrys to be reliable workhorses that last a long time and give them little fuss. There is a version designed specifically for pets.

[​IMG]

Over my adult lifetime, I've bought more vacuum cleaners than enough. I've also bought an extensive variety of machinery and come to the conclusion that simplicity of use and maintenance is frequently the best option. Forget about having a million attachments you will never use. A cable recoil is convenient, but they are fairly high on the list of things that can go wrong, the reason being that every time the cable is pulled out to its full extent, it applies a stress on the wires where they are clamped to prevent the cable being yanked out of the machine. Constantly stressing the wires eventually causes them to break.

If you want to see whether the manufacturers are aware of this being a fundamental design fault, look at the cable close to where it's been fully dragged out. You'll see a yellow warning band on the cable to tell you it's close to its limit.

But anyone who studies people tasked with the job of household cleaning, will observe how much they either hate having to do it, or do it in such a manner that it becomes a means of making life as miserable as possible for their spouse. Anyone whose angry when they have to vacuum will never notice the warning band on the cable. However it's a brilliant marketing ploy to continue with having retractable cables, because nobody wants to admit they broke something in anger and maybe a brand new vacuum cleaner with whizzy features will reduce the misery of the chore anyway.

Here's a simple truth.

Some people actually like cleaning and take a pride in their work. I didn't appreciate until a few years ago that there are accredited courses in cleaning and it's far more involved than is given credit.

We have a perception of cleaning being a job that anyone can do if they can't find more lucrative work, but as anyone who has emplyed a cleaner knows, there are are some who are better at it than others. Same with scientists, machinists and bean counters.

When it boils down to it, they are all exceedingly dull jobs to learn do well. I've taught kids whose schools failed them to become gifted machinists and wondered why the education system never provided education that might pick up on their talents rather than bore them and punish them.

My current career involves dealing with the elderly and I try to engage them in reniniscentces about what they were proud of. You'd be surprised by what they have to say. There are few who don't have a story to tell about something or other they did during their lifetime that advanced the world we now live in, but never get a mention for.

I'll tell you another simple truth. The modern world would not exist unless someone had had invented how to make a straight edge.

Making how a straight edge from three pieces of material was worked out donkeys years ago and the people who did the intensely labourious task of making the first one of making the first one, never get a mention in the history books.

Everything we know about science, was only possible to be proven once we had a reference point. I put it to you, that before it was possible to establish beyond reasonable doubt how to make a perfectly straight edge, everything everything we know about science was little more than theory.

The straight edge is the fundamental building block that enabled civilisation to move on from the BS world that existed before. It enabled us to develop a reliable system of precision measurement.

Without precision measurment you wouldn't have the modern world.

How many teachers of mathmatics are able to refer back to how it was possible to prove from their asserions of what constiutes a straight line was possible to prove everything else they believe to be true of what the say about mathematics?

Which historian among you wants to pick this up and run with it? .

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

[​IMG]

16. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Totally agree with this.

needabreak likes this.
  17. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

We just got the dyson v11 absolute because we were so fed up with the dog hair situation at home. Ridiculously expensive, but in my view worth every penny as it picks the hair up on first pass and is a cordless that lasts long enough to do the house. Only had it a couple of months (got it on black friday) but havent had to untangle anything yet.

18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Forget the vacuum cleaner, just shave the dog

BertieBassett2 and Mangleworzle like this.
  19. loranp

loranp New commenter

I moult more than a dog, and my Shark was fantastic with my Jack Russell's hair, but the brush frequently got my hair wrapped around it to the point that I needed to use scissors to cut it off the brush.

needabreak likes this.
  20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We don't have a dog or cat but do have a Miele and my husband assures me it is an excellent machine.

lapinrose and needabreak like this.