1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Vacuum cleaners

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hkpoppy, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Since breaking my arm just before Christmas I have realised that my old vac is too heavy and difficult to handle. Iwould like a new, modern one which is upright, light, and easy to use. Have any of you got any recomendations? Also, there are lots of sales at the moment, but would it be better to buy on-line? Thanks in advance.

2. Since breaking my arm just before Christmas I have realised that my old vac is too heavy and difficult to handle. Iwould like a new, modern one which is upright, light, and easy to use. Have any of you got any recomendations? Also, there are lots of sales at the moment, but would it be better to buy on-line? Thanks in advance.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Poor you, no advice really other than go to your local Comet/Currys and try them all, I would suggest an upright one as having back problems myself, I find those easiest.
    Re buying on-line, just go for the cheapest once you have decided what you want.

4. This topic crops up quite often.
    When my wife's vacuum cleaner broke, I bought her a Sebo X4. She says she's very pleased with it.

5. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I bought a dyson rollerball one - its great. Very easy to maneovre and light to carry - only downside is the hose, which is a bit stiff and unmanageable but I don't use this facility very often anyway so very happy overall. Good advice to go to comet or currys and just try them out.

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I've got a dyson rollerball too. It takes a bit of getting used to but is very manouverable. Mine is still quite heavy to lift upstairs but I think you can get a lighter version.

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I've just bought my second Sebo. The first (an X1) had lasted for years and I was really pleased with it. I recently donated it to Mr Marlin for cleaning the car and I got myself an X4. The tools are very easy to use and the height of the handle is perfect for me (I'm 5'8''). It is powered and so is easy to push, but I don't think it is the lightest if you need to carry it. If you look on Amazon it gives the weight in all its descriptions.
    I have to use the Dyson rollerball when I'm at M-i-L's - I hate it! The lead is too short, the handle is too low and the attachments are so difficult to use - quite a performance if you just want to zap a cobweb!
    Do go and try though - we all are different in what is important to us!