1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

vacancy at a school in special measures

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by sweekle, Feb 5, 2016.

1. sweekle

sweekle New commenter

I have a had a break from working for 2 years, due to family commitments, and now I'm looking to get back into teaching. At one time I worked on supply, and loved it- I liked the flexibility and variety, and the option to choose day-to-day or long term placements depending on what was appropriate at the time. THEN agencies took over. For a while it was okay, but after a maternity break I went back to discover that all the agencies had simultaneously begun paying a flat rate that was about 75% of what I had been used to, and I was expected to accept being paid slightly less than I would be as an NQT. (which I am not. I qualified in 1994 and aside from a couple of maternity breaks have worked pretty much continuously full time.)
    SO, now I'm looking to get back to work, as the elderly relative I was caring for passed a little before Christmas. I have decided against supply, as the low pay rates means battling with the DWP to make up my income, and I just can't face it. Looking at vacancies in my area, there's not much, at this time of year, but there are a handful of possibilities. ONe of which as I read up on the job I realised is in special measures. Should I apply for the post? Or is it too great a risk, that would put the final nail in my 'career' 's coffin?? Opinions welcomed.....

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I worked in a school in measures (for a significant period of time ) when I was younger. It was tough and very pressurised of course, but I learnt a lot which helped me enormously curiously as I moved for promotion and to other schools.

poltergeist likes this.
  3. moonirules

moonirules New commenter

I moved to my current post from a school in SM. I used the extra training we'd received and extra scrutiny we'd worked under as a positive. I also explained that being able to work under the pressure of special measures was a valuable lesson that made me more effective with time management etc.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have no personal experience of this. But from what I have heard others say, there is often extra support in a school like this, although extra pressures too.

And as both @minnie me and @moonirules say, it can be very beneficial as on-going professional development.

Best wishes

5. sweekle

sweekle New commenter

Thank you for the replies, I suppose I should mention that I have previous experience of foolishly accepting a post many years ago in a school in special measures. (I should've smelled a rat when I was offered the (permanent) contract over the phone before even moving to that town; I'd registered with the LEA pool before moving and quickly got two job offers; unfortunately the better offer came after I'd accepted the special measures job) When I got there I discovered the fundamental reason for the school's failure was a poisonous atmosphere amongst staff, and b**ching and back-biting was modelled and encouraged by bullying characters in the SMT. I lasted half a term before realising I should just get out. The current school claims to be improving and the ad for the post is very positive of course, but.... I'm older and not so naive now. I'm not sure that lots of extra observation and 'support' is what I need when I already have the slight insecurity of coming back from a gap and having to catch up on two years' worth of changes...

6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You don't say your subject/phase. One consideration you have to make is that your time out of school, and a proportion of your previous time being on supply possibly, does not make you 'top of the pile' Why would a school with a more sought after vacancy employ you over, say, a NQT or a teacher with recent experience? by your own admission you are playing catch up. This may well be the way in you need.

I understand your concerns. It may well be worth considering though whether or not you feel that you can risk the job market.