1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

V.simple embroidery/sewing etc in Reception- is this too hard?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cath1980, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi was just wandering if it is appropriate to do some simple sewing/cross stitch with Reception aged children..has anyone done this? Thanks

2. Hi was just wandering if it is appropriate to do some simple sewing/cross stitch with Reception aged children..has anyone done this? Thanks

3. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

I've done binca squares with mine and they loved it once they got the hang of it. The simple running stitch was obviously easiest but some more advanced children enjoyed the challenge of cross stitch

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I bought some "plastic" binca for reception just be prepared to unpick and thread lots of needles [​IMG]

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

We've done it in the nursery AND they managed to make lavender bags stuffed with lavender we had grown in the garden.

6. My foundation class made some lovely vine patterns using running stitches on felt leaves for our calendars last year.

7. I teach Reception and we make simple stockings using running stitch at Christmas and now we are attempting to draw a picture onto a grid and then sew it onto a card using running stitch, not sure how it will work but going to give it a go. Before starting sewing I would suggest a lot of beading and threading cards and possibly weaving frames. BTW I could knit competently at 5 as could a lot of my peers, lets not underestimate little ones!