1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

V and A museum to support / campaign for D and T

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by bobpite, Jul 10, 2019.

1. bobpite

bobpite New commenter

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The V and A can do what it wants but the current crisis in DT is the combination of a number of things that have been imposed by the current and previous government:

Sadly, I see DT in decline throughout the school system. There will come a point when the government and business realise the crisis we have in recruiting engineering and creative staff that money will be poured into the subject like it was for TVEI in the 80s and 90s
    http://technicaleducationmatters.or...cational-education-initiative-tvei-1983-1997/
    Until then DT in schools will just limp on, unloved, badly financed and poorly staffed. Very sad.

3. bobpite

bobpite New commenter

Good to know that the head of Ofsted is concerned about the decline of D and T.

4. bobpite

bobpite New commenter

I guessed it would be you Shedman who commented. Two retired old D and T teachers. Still haunted by how great D and T was...
    [​IMG]

Shedman likes this.
  5. Hazewood12

Hazewood12 New commenter

I am afraid that the bubble has burst! I retired this time last year after teaching DT for 36 years in a variety of schools with different levels of responsibility. You could see over the last 5 years that the subject was of low priority. The writing was on the wall when the Tories got elected and the decline will not stop. Any initiative will be piecemeal compared to the way DT was respected from the late 80s through to 2008.

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Very much so! My former DT colleague (older than me!) and me always used to describe as the Statler and Waldorf of our school. Deeply cynical of all the latest 'initiatives' and very creative in drawing up our departmental documentation we always enjoyed a damned good moan!

7. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Oh joy. Another voice in the "D+T matters " camp that will be ignored...

Sooooo glad I'm also out!

Shedman likes this.