1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UWIc Primary PGCE - Interview process stage 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rhysanslow, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Well done to everyone reading this in their passing of the first round. I think we can all happily put that stage of our life's behind us ;).

I've just received my letter through of stage 2 & thought I'd get everyone together on a new thread to discuss opinions on this section of the interview (as well as share a bit of the nerves!).

So, whats in Stage 2 -

Group Task -

This seems pretty straight forward to me. I work in a school & working in a team effort for a single goal is the aim of everyones job.

How does everyone else feel?

Individual Tasks -

1) Presentation:

Prob the worst part of the whole 'stage 2' for me. I'm back in school at 2:30pm so I'm going to go straight to head teacher or deputy head for advice.
    Hows everyone else feeling?

2) Individual Interview:

I'm not quite made up on this one. I feel so confident about my love for primary school teaching I feel as if I could answer most questions. Is that too arrogant? Advice please!

2. Well done to everyone reading this in their passing of the first round. I think we can all happily put that stage of our life's behind us ;).

I've just received my letter through of stage 2 & thought I'd get everyone together on a new thread to discuss opinions on this section of the interview (as well as share a bit of the nerves!).

So, whats in Stage 2 -

Group Task -

This seems pretty straight forward to me. I work in a school & working in a team effort for a single goal is the aim of everyones job.

How does everyone else feel?

Individual Tasks -

1) Presentation:

Prob the worst part of the whole 'stage 2' for me. I'm back in school at 2:30pm so I'm going to go straight to head teacher or deputy head for advice.
    Hows everyone else feeling?

2) Individual Interview:

I'm not quite made up on this one. I feel so confident about my love for primary school teaching I feel as if I could answer most questions. Is that too arrogant? Advice please!

3. Group Task
    Yep I'm feeling okayish about this part. Just hoping there isn't someone super over powering in my group but should hopefully be fine!
    Presentation
    I'm not loving the sound of this haha. What worries me is the part that says to make reference to educational research and pertinent literature :/ Hopefully google brings stuff up!!
    Interview
    Hopefully this will be okay. I hope they are friendly and warm! Ihad a horrid interiew many years ago at Cambridge and the man was ice cold and said NOTHING other than his questions and it really put me off and scattered my thoughts. Though I have learnt from this and can work throguh it now, but so not helpful! Definitely going to be practicing some answers to questions though!
    I know what you mean about love of primary, I'm just hoping I can articulatemyself properly through the nerves! Hence practice lol.
    What times are all your itnerviews at? Mine is at 1pm.

4. Yeah, mines at 1pm. I guess we'll all start the group assessment at 1 then have a horrible wait through the interviews :p.

Just had a fantastically productive half an hour. Had a great talk with both the head & deputy head, have got a topic for presentation as well as a wedge of info to get going on! *yay*

5. It looks like everyone is at 1pm! or at least, everyone that I have spoken to so far! I agree, it's probably going to be a LONG wait! Mind, if it goes alphabetical, we'll probably be quite early on with you as an A and me a C!
    That's really good that you have your topic decided and have some information to get started on. That must be a bit of a relief! I'm going home this weekend and am going to discuss it with my dad then (benefit of coming from a family of teachers!) and see what we come up with. I have a few ideas in my head but we shall see. I have so much Uni work to do at the moment though: a presentation, 2 essay outlines and my dissertation outline, I'm rather worried about time to prepare for the interview :/
    I just phoned to confirm my attendence :) Also had to ask a questrion as for some reason I don't have any WJEC exam certificates (though I have all my other GCSE exam board ones?), but I do have my provisional statements from them. I'm sending off for certificates, but asked if they don't come in time if the provisional statement is okay and they said it is, so fewth!

6. Yay on finding a topic! Even if you were up very late reading (posting at 02:51!)
    My friend is doing a PhD in UWIC and he assured me that the worst time to get a parking space at the campus is wednesday afternoon (when we were there!) due to sporting activities. Even then I managed to find a space that day though, so hopefully parking should be easy on a monday.
    Glad you found your certificates as well. Paying for them while being on loan money would have been a pain.
    Had never even thought of a PGCE running in Cambridge, I could imagine their requirments being pretty high. In regards to secondary subjects - I did do a 'UWIC PGCE' search on twitter and I think folks have started being accepted for secondary courses there already. Shortages are a much bigger problem in secondary though so I'm guessing they're getting in secondary applicants as fast as they can.

7. Hi, I've applied to do my primary PGCE at UWIC and am waiting to hear whether I have got an interview. A friend of mine doing an education course at UWIC told me that the interview process would involve an English, maths and science test, as well as the group task etc, but none of the posts in your forum mention this..... Has my friend got the wrong end of the stick possibly, because I've started revising these topics and am starting to think that there's no point?!"?
    Cheers :)

8. Hay!

Yes, there are defiantly tests. If you search in this forum for ''UWIC Primary PGCE Entrance Exams' you should find a thread created by me that features conversation from the last month & a half concerning them :)

9. My sleeping pattern has gone to pot lol.
    Okay so hopefully should all be alright for the Monday!
    YEs I have no money, so definitely was going to have to stetch myself!
    Mm, i think they place a lot more emphasis on academics, but I do think that they're applications are lower and they take 220 students, so youre chances are quite a bit higher than UWIC. I read on old posts opn here that they were waiting 4-8 weeks after the interview to hear back :| I hope they're quicker this year and are more like the secondary department!

Amd there are definitely tests so definitely don'y stop revising for them :)

10. 5 minutes really is NOTHING. I imagine it to be absolutely no more than 2 pages worth of notes. They want all this literature and research included, negatives and positives for primary education and then possibly reflection on your own experience. Pretty much a minute on each, which is no time at all lol, I dunno how we're going to it it all in!? It's quite daunting knowing how much you have to fit into it :| My last presentation was 25 minutes and that didn't feel quite enough time for everything lol.
    It's horrible cutting yuour work down, especialyl when you have put all that effort in!

11. The first stage is three exams English literature, maths and science. (maths and science are on paper and you get 30 minutes to finish) they are NOT the same as the ones they tell u to practice online with someone going through it fast, but they are similar.
    then if you get through that stage you have an interview (as mentioned below)
    :)

12. Just ran through the new cut down version of my presentation a few times. Times ranged from 5 mins 08 secs to 5 mins 32 secs.

I think I'll happily risk that amount of time, I really don't want to cut anymore detail out of it!

13. Hi all,
    Just found this thread and it has been quite helpful so thanks to the creator... I had been following the previous thread as I to was at the same etrance exam sit in as all of you. Nice to know that others are also having the same stresses that I have been having over the past few weeks lol. I have also made it to the 2nd stage of the interview process. Congratulations to all of those who passed stage 1. That science test worried me a bit lol! My interview is on 19th at 9am.
    Hope to see you all there or if not then with a bit of luck, next year on the course.
    Good luck to you all,
    Adam

14. Hay Adam,

Congrats on getting through & good luck to you at that horribly early time of 9am.

Yeah, the Science test is still a bit of a mystery to me (I may have been better than I thought ;P).

How's your presentation coming along? Mines finished now, I'm just practicing everyday atm.

15. Hiya everyone!
    Just found out that I passed the dreaded test stange and on to the interview, which is scheduled for January 4th. No other details yet, I'm assuming I'll get some sort of letter in the post soon?
    I look forward to hearing all about your experiences on Monday, good luck!

16. Oh and I wouldn't worry about parking for Monday, Cyncoed has a huge student carpark (just remember you need change, £2.00 for all day).
    Lectures officially finished on Friday for us so the place should be pretty dead, I can't imagine parking will be a problem at all.

17. Well done Hannah! Did you have your test day on 07/12 too?

18. Yes I did. The science was harder than I expected and I thought I'd messed up the analysis of the report so I'm very happy to have done enough to get through! Well done to you too! Do you know what time your interview is yet? x

19. Hey Rhys,
    Cheers. Yes I have sorted my presentation out but like you, practicing everyday lol. It's all in my head perfectly, just hoping I don't start to stutter on the day now or talk to fast with my accent being very Welshy indeed lol. I am dreading the 9am interview... Early night tonight I think.
    I am still baffled as to how I actually passed that Science test. You think you know the answers but the multiple choice makes you think twice, especially when the answers available to you are sometimes very similar.
    I notice that a few of you are worried about the parking. Whatever you do, just make sure you get a parking ticket lol! They have tried to charge me £40 for parking there without one when I actually did have one and on display. Just make sure it is clearly displayed. It was hammering down with rain that night so I am assuming they just didn't see it or look properly. Regardless, I am not paying lol!
    Good luck everyone tomorrow. Look forward to hearing from you all tomorrow night. If I can, I will try to get on here by 12 o clock to let all of you lucky 1pm starters what to expect.
    Cheers,
    Adam

20. Well done all those who have recently found out they've passed the entrance exams & good luck to everyone tomorrow.

I'm all ready to go now. Certificates packed, photo's ready, presentation notes printed out, even bringing my CRB check with me just incase. Just counting down now :p