1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UWE PGCE Secondary - anyone else get a place?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Dr_Faustus, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Hey, just posting in the hope that other people at the UWE Secondary interview (January 9th) got accepted onto the course! I got an unconditional offer (hooray) and am now really, REALLY excited hehe. I was the younger of the two guys. I was going to say "The guy with long hair", but then I realised that we both had long hair. But yeah, It'd be great if anyone that got in would post and say hehe, see if we remember each other. Also if anyone has an interview with UWE for Secondary in the future and you need any help give me a shout.

Whahay!

2. Hey, just posting in the hope that other people at the UWE Secondary interview (January 9th) got accepted onto the course! I got an unconditional offer (hooray) and am now really, REALLY excited hehe. I was the younger of the two guys. I was going to say "The guy with long hair", but then I realised that we both had long hair. But yeah, It'd be great if anyone that got in would post and say hehe, see if we remember each other. Also if anyone has an interview with UWE for Secondary in the future and you need any help give me a shout.

Whahay!

3. Well done with the offer! I have an interview in a couple of weeks for Secondary (business studies) PGCE at UWE. Any help/advise you could give me would be great! what questions were you asked in the two interviews? How was the literacy task,etc?And were there many people there?

cheers

4. Hey Pete! The two interviews are split between a professional studies interview and a subject knowledge interview. The first was with a teacher linked to the uni, and was mostly about current educational issues. He asked why we wanted to be teachers, why secondary teachers, asked us about our qualities etc, all in group conversation format. It was very relaxed, so don't be too nervous about it, but make sure you've researched some issues before you go in - testing is a good one, so are the new changes to the curriculum (I don't know if this affects business studies) and the new diplomas. Above all he's looking for qualities that'll make you a good teacher rather than pedagoguey, and just to make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for hehe.

The second part, the subject interview, differs for each subject. You're split into groups depending (obviously) on which subject you're interested in - it might be a very small group (or even an individual interview) if you're applying for a shortage subject or non-core. In that interview they just ask questions about your school life, your experience prior to applying, and questions relating to your subject. We were asked what we'd teach to an A-Level class, choosing from pre-1914 literature only. The staff there are really friendly, which totally relieves the feelings of nervousness hehe.

The literary task is answering two questions from seven concerning yourself and the teaching profession. It really isn't something you can prepare for as it is mostly personal, but all they're doing there is checking to see that you can write coherent sentences and the fact that you've thought about what makes you an ideal candidate for teaching.

Yeah, so it was a pretty cool day, very enjoyable. The main thing is to be confident in yourself, secure in your subject knowledge and be ready to show the faculty that you really, really want this hehe.

Good luck man, post on here and let me know how it works out!

5. Wow! Thanks for that!Great in detail advice.,I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. Thanks again, Good luck with everything.
    Pete

6. Hey - I had my PGCE int for Business at UWE on 6th Feb. Went really well (I think!) but still waiting to hear the outcome. How long did it take for you? I am going out of my mind waiting for the post and am addicted to track! x

7. Hey! Yeah, try not to be too intense with the track-checking as it can be quite disheartening. It took four weeks and a day after my interview to update, so it can be a fair amount of time, but there were a shedload of primary interviews on the day after so that would have caused some delays. If all the primary applications are done by now then I don't think it'll take too long, but remember: it not updating, or them putting a stop on your account, totally doesn't mean you haven't got a place!

8. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Still haven't heard anything so it it looks like this is going to be the longest month of my life! Can they not see they hold my future in their hands!!!x