1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Utterly Useless IfL REfLECT

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by msprism, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I've just spent two hours attempting to log my annual CPD via Ifl REfLECT.
    Spoke to a less than useful halpdesk (misnomer surely) person at the IfL she hadn't a clue either.
    It simply does not work no matter how or what one tries.
    What a waste of time!

2. I've just spent two hours attempting to log my annual CPD via Ifl REfLECT.
    Spoke to a less than useful halpdesk (misnomer surely) person at the IfL she hadn't a clue either.
    It simply does not work no matter how or what one tries.
    What a waste of time!

3. I did mine just now with no problems. What's going wrong for you?

4. Hi
    Have done mine on Reflect the last three years, no problem. However it does take a bit of getting use to. Don't give up it really isn't that difficult.

5. Just write a statement that you have done 30 hours CPD - no details - no **** - job done.
    Oh BTW don't pay the usurous subs - it ain't worth it!

6. According to the IfL's own figures in their latest so-called 'Impact Survey', barely half of their conscripts bothered to log any CPD via Reflect last year. The others didn't get drummed out (they are needed to pay the usurious fees, presumably.) So why bother?
    If the IfL really wanted to read about our CPD they could always ask us for a brief statement via e-mail. This would be easy for us, and since they don't read most of the input anyway, why bother with a grotty bit of rubbish software that doesn't know its a...e from your elbow? If you're really soft enough to believe that you need IfL to rubber-stamp your CPD, write them a loving note, e.g. 'Dear IfL, this year so far I have read your lovely, cuddly journal, posted a million messages in your lovely, cuddly forums, excavated a Tyrannosaurus Rex in central Iceland, completed an equality of opportunity study for earthworms, and spent six weeks in the Seychelles researching training opportunities in luxury hotels. Love, Me.'
    Job done. You are, after all, not speaking upon oath - but if you try to use Reflect you will most certainly be speaking with one.

7. Glad it's not just me.

I have my PC set up for my dyslexia, coloured backgrounds etc but Reflect overides it.
    It is truly the worst system I've ever looked at / attempted to use

8. @sashh - interested that you are finding problems with accessibility. I've a visually impaired colleague who had given up on IfL after being reasonably keen early on - he finds their stuff really problematic re accessibility, including CPD logging.
    Interestingly if you check IfL's own web page on equality (http://www.ifl.ac.uk/about-ifl/single-equality-strategy) via a web accessibility n online accessibility evaluation tool like WAVE (http://wave.webaim.org/) it exposes multiple breaches of accessibility good practice.
    Rubbish.

9. Wouldn't bother at all now!! I can see the light!!!! :)

10. Thanks institutionalised

11. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Lead commenter

You're dealing with the Wizzard of Oz.
    Pull back the curtain.

12. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I know exactly where you are comming from msprism. I could have put my fist through my PC screen for all the time I spent messing about with REFLECT. What on Earth is it all about!? And what have other people been able to do when they say they have done something with it?
    I was even more furious considering the time I had wasted when I found I could simply declare how much time I had spent on CPD through my home page on the IFL web site, but this dissipated when I became the hero of the department informing everybody else that they didn't need to use REFLECT.
    Incidently, do not forget to include the time you spent trying to figure out REFLECT on your CPD hours -- seriously. And include this string. It is all part of our development.
    Upon reflection about REFLECT, it is an amaturish effort and the problem that people have with it, is that we expect far more of it than it is able to deliver because we are used to much more powerful pc tools in the rest of our life. It should never have been attempted by IFL. It was always going to look silly next to MS Office tools etc. and to my mind was one of the things that made IFL as a whole look silly.
    Don't forget that you will still need a paper folder with notes on your CPD, which you would be doing anyway. Print out this string and file it away! I took CPD far too seriously at the start. Anything you do, put some sort of notes in your folder. CPD is not just about going on courses and getting a certificate of attendance, but anything you have done that that is new to you, that you need for your job. Lol! Won't take long to fill up a large ring binder and you are done!

13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I should have said that "I took the <u>reporting of the recording</u> of CPD too seriously". I think that CPD itself is very important.