1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Utterly Distraught

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by PersianCatLady, Apr 4, 2019.

1. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

I am utterly distraught, I have wanted to be a teacher for 8 years and the chance of me passing my ITT year looks very slim.

I have really struggled at school with the fact that in a department of two, one member of staff is doing everything he can to run the department and get the students through their exams.

I must add that he came to this school in September and it appears that until then, there was no scheme of learning for any of the year groups, no structure and the students themselves say that they did absolutely nothing in previous years.

I feel for guilty for keep asking for things but I have spent the entire half-term not knowing what I am supposed to be doing and basically firefighting in lessons.

I am so sad that I have / had all of these ideas to get children interested in computing but yet a lot of the material that I was asked to cover is so dull and boring that I think most of them hope they never see another computer again in their lives.

I have ten observation sheets from my first placement of six weeks and just four from this whole term. I have asked time and time again what I am supposed to prepare to submit to the QTS but I still don't know what is expected of me.

How on Earth will I be able to gain QTS with no evidence and so few observation sheets.

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I'm sure you will be fine, just do your best to get as much together as you can. If you are a reasonable teacher, you won't be failed because your mentor is busy.

3. rayna

rayna New commenter

You need to talk to your tutor at the University running the course. Is it a PGCE? Things may have changed since I did my teacher training but isn't it the responsibility of the university/ training provider to place you in a school where you can be properly supported? From what you say it sounds like a poor choice of school and you should not fail because of that.

4. robwilktes

robwilktes New commenter

Education is in a state of flux at the moment, not knowing its purpose is and where it's going.
    In many ways it is out of step with the world outside in which the children are growing up in.
    There are school out there who have integrated technology into lessons and are changing the way students learn and the way the teachers teach. It doesn't help you but there are beacons of success. So stick with it as best you can.
    https://wke.lt/w/s/zpOTH