1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Utilities costs in UAE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

I expect that the AC will be running all the time in most countires in the ME. Does the landlord pay for the AC or the tenant?

What else are tenants expected to pay on top of the rent?e.g. water, gas, any form of living taxes?

2. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

I expect that the AC will be running all the time in most countires in the ME. Does the landlord pay for the AC or the tenant?

What else are tenants expected to pay on top of the rent?e.g. water, gas, any form of living taxes?

3. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Depends if you are living in your own accommodation or one provided for you by the school. I live in a one bedroomed apartment provided by my school who pay for all utilities. I just pay for internet and TV.
    Plus, you do not need the AC on constantly. I haven't had mine on since the beginning of December as it does get quite airy here at nights in Winter.
    :)

4. My contract states that they will be providing the apartment and playing for all utilities expect TV, phone and internet.
    A good place to ask for more general info like utility costs would be over at www.britishexpats.com and www.abudhabiwoman.com If you are expected to pay your own untilities it they may be able to give info about their homes.

5. Look at www.du.ae for an idea of costs for TV/phone/internet. They have packages that include all 3 so it should give you how much you will have to pay for month.

Will your company pay the housing tax? This is 5% of the apartment's annual rent, tacked on monthly to your DEWA (electricity & water) bill.