1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Utilities - all electric

Discussion in 'Personal' started by unhappylil, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hi All
    I am shortly moving out of my shared house to get a flat on my own. I have noticed that a lot of the flats I have seen are all electric and in previous places I have been used to gas heating. Is anybody else all electric or have had previous experience of this? Just wondered in terms of the financial costs for my bills as I have got my first viewing booked on Tuesday. As I don't really tend to feel the cold I don't use the heating that much. Thank you!

2. Electric heating is more expensive than gas. Beware of storage heaters which can be good in some ways but have no flexibilty for changeable weather!

3. My flat in Wales is all electric and our first bill was a shock I didn't realise how bad it was going to be... Once I got it sorted and I worked out the best arrangement for heating and changed the power to a cheaper rate (like Economy 7 or something like that) it was fine... OH is in the flat now and hardly using any power at all (he is resorting to hot water bottles and rugging up as opposed to using the energy draining heater on the wall). I am paying £50 a month towards the power there now with just the one person living there -haven't had a bill yet with just him so not sure but I don't think it will be too bad... (fingers crossed)

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Also they store the heat and then release it during the day when you are probably out.

5. Isn't that only if you have them switched on? I would potentially look at getting perhaps a couple of oil filled rads and using them instead, as I don't really feel the cold I am not going to need lots of heating on.

6. Well, yes, but if you plan to have electric heating anyway you may as well use the storage heaters which will be a lot cheaper than having an oil filled heater plugged in. If you're convinced that you don't need heating then make sure you get a middle flat so that you benefit from everyone else's heating!

7. The one I am viewing on Tuesday is a first floor so I would hopefully benefit a little bit if the ground floor have their heating on.

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

get a microwave
    tear the door off
    run it full time
    only you, your cup of tea and the dog will be kept warm.

9. Dogs are for keeping you warm, not the other way round.

10. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

We've been in an all-electric flat for 4 years now. Was a bit of a shock at first, but we had ancient heaters ripped out and replaced with new ones and made sure we were on economy7. We do things like make sure the immersion heater is timed to come on only during the cheaper night hours, washing during the night when we can (ground floor so doesn't disturb neighbours too much on the spin cycle!) and so on.

We've been paying £100 a month direct debit and have built up quite a credit now, so this winter has been reasonably cheap - adjusted our payments down to £60 so that was quite nice! (edit: this keeps 2 people and 1 cat warm [​IMG])

It only becomes a real nuisance if there's a power cut. We've had 2 in the four years - one lasted about 2minutes, but the second was nearer 2 hours. You can't even boil water on the hob for a cup of tea!

11. If it was £100 per month it will have to be a definite no-no!

12. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

That £100 is for 2 of us who operate on fairly different schedules. The heating in on nearly 24/7 in the winter. When you look around the flat, ask the current occupier what their bills are like.

13. Oh right, thanks. I have added that to my long list of questions to ask the agent. [​IMG]

14. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

I'm in an all electric flat and pay about £45 a month for electricity on direct debit but end up with a bit of credit over the summer as another poster has said. I have economy 7 and my water is heated overnight and I have plenty of hot water. I've got a massive old storage heater in my living room. It does heat up overnight then chuck out loads of heat during the day when I'm at work (lovely during the holidays and at weekends though!) I have a little cheap oil filled heater I put on in the evening if it is particularly cold. My flat's on the first floor and I think I do benefit from heat rising from downstairs. The ground floor flat was unoccupied last winter and my flat was much colder as a result!

15. Storage heaters are ok if you can get them set up right. In the 4 years I spent living in a flat with them in - never did manage this, no amount of judicious dial twiddling, googling settings and downright begging managed to make them not be set to toasty warm when you were out at work and Siberia when you got home on an evening.
    To the extent that when we were looking to buy a house we automatically vetoed some fairly new builds in a good location because of their storage heaters on the photos... I'm that anti-them!

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

My flat is all electric. and I have Economy 7.
    I always have plenty of hot water,
    The storage heaters take some getting used to.They provide toasty-warmth when I get up in the morning. By about 9:30pm on a cold night then I need to wrap myself in a fleecy blanket. It would help if I had an accurate weather foreccast for the following day, so I could adjust the settings as needed! But on the whole they keep my little place nice and warm,
    I am at home most of the day, and need to keep warm, so the storage heaters suit me. (I should point out that I get a disbility discount to help with my heating costs).
    I make sure to do recharging et.c overnight - as electricity is cheaper for me then. Unfortunately I can't use my washing machine or drier too late (or extra early) as the flat above me would be kept awake.