1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Utilitarian Education System

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by yogikabirthdayhaikal, Sep 19, 2019.

1. I have been playing around with the the concept of a purely pragmatic or utilitarian form of education that could be taught in public education schools in modern english countries.

The central idea is there will be a set of subjects / disciplines that will the foundation or core for all of learning in some compacity, consciously or subconsciously, and from there the students can build off of to other forms of knowledge independently or in the course of their studies.

The following subjects are; English, Mathematics, "Academics Methods", and "Logics"

Note: "Academic Methods" is an umbrella term that refers to any methods, techniques, or skills that deal with reasearching, learning, and studying in and either an academic sense or independently.

2. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

A purely pragmatic or utilitarian form of education? Does the name Gradgrind ring any bells?

I was familiar with most of the words except 'compacity' which, I learn, is defined as 'any of several technical measures of compactness, especially, in a granular medium.' From this I deduce that under this 'new' system students will be treated as so many grains of sand. Why am I reminded of Pink Floyd and Another Brick in the Wall?

If this is educashun I don't want none of it.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You lost me at “modern english countries”.

576, towncryer and bobbingtoncrescent like this.
  4. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

Pedagobbledygook.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Only the Sage of Walmington-On-Sea would quote Dickens and Pink Floyd in the same post!

6. 576

576 Established commenter

Me too. The only English country I know of, modern or otherwise, is England.

StrangePanda likes this.
  7. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

It's all culcha, innit?

8. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

A joke, surely?

9. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

"Academic methods" in 2019 = the internet.

"Logic" in 2019 = Google and Lego

"Modern English Countries"..... so this "new" syllabus/framework/gobble-dee-goop is to be taught when the English were busy "settling" "new" worlds like Australia.

This is what happens when a teacher read too many journals written, "researched" by "educators" who have never set foot in a classroom.. Or have never truly appreciated the old wooden carriage wheel.

miketribe likes this.