1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UTI - ouch!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Yesterday I woke up with quite a lot of discomfort "down below" - just felt very, very sore with a burning pain which got very bad when I went to the loo. I was so uncomfortable and sore that I could hardly sit down! I thought it might be thrush, so I bought a "combi" treatment (pessary etc).
    This morning, it was no better and I was having some abdominal pain too so managed to get an appointment with the nurse at our GP clinic. She confirmed I had a urinary infection. I'm now on antibiotics but my question is why am I so sore? It feels like the burning/soreness is vaginal and not in the bladder. Honestly, I feel like I can hardly sit down. Is this something to do with the menopause? (I havent had a period for 3 years and am having lots of hot flushes). I've had a couple of UTIs before and havent felt like this. I'm 48.[​IMG]

2. The opening to the urethra is very close to the vagina. If the urethra is inflamed - and when i get cystitis it stings like hell - it might seem as if it's coming from the vaginal area. The tissues round there willl be thinning during the menopause so perhaps are more sensitive than you were expecting?