1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using ******

Discussion in 'Primary' started by davidjones123, Jan 16, 2019.

1. davidjones123

davidjones123 New commenter

Hi all,

I just wanted to get people's views on using ****** for lessons in your class.

Personally, I think ****** is fantastic and has saved me lots of time making my presentations etc. Currently I use it for most lessons apart from Maths. I wanted to know what people think of this, possible negatives or positives? What are different schools views on this?

I use to spend hours and hours making resources for lessons which just got to be far too much. I still make the odd resource here and there but nothing like what I use to.

Thoughts anyone?

2. alsoamum

alsoamum New commenter

I've used it for years, along with things from tes and plan her. As long as you are selective it's fine.

I tutor a lot of children, and some of them say that they are fed up of ****** stuff and that their teachers are lazy ... I suspect they've heard this at home but do wonder if some people over use it without being careful about the suitability.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

*wondering which website is starred out*

4. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

The twinkly one?

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Making your own worksheets/PowerPoints etc. wins hands down for me every time. You can make the task absolutely bespoke and enjoy the research. It’s much more personal and interesting, too. There may be a few useful things on the internet, but many would have to be altered or tweaked for me to be satisfied with them. I’m afraid I’d agree with the children - a diet of worksheets pulled off the internet isn’t nutritious and suggests a teacher who wants to dish up the curriculum like daily microwaved ready meals.

RepelloInimicum likes this.
  6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I use that website a lot, but edit their powerpoints etc, as I find some of them very thin, so I need to add in my own slides and info. But it's a good starting point, and their Planit overviews give you a quick medium term plan for a topic which you can then tweak to your own class needs.

There is WAY too much stuff on there, and you need to be really specific when searching. I also take care to change fonts and delete logos to make their stuff look much more generic. (We have been told OFSTED don't like it and think it means teachers are cutting corners, instead of staying up all night creating their own powerpoints and hand-drawn diagrams after deep marking in three colours......)

I like the reading comprehension stuff they have to run alongside topics, really useful for quick guided reading activities.

We are not allowed to use "worksheets" at my school, but I kind of tinker about with the sparkly content to make useful resources. Definitely useful for quickly shoving up a display, provided you delete all the logos!

Interesting point though, on the few occasions when our HT teaches, they use unadulterated stuff from *******!

7. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

It’s a useful site, especially for foundation subjects.
    Not a fan of their core subject work and things can be hard to locate.

8. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell Occasional commenter

Agreed. I found I was spending so much time looking for the sparkly stuff that hit exactly what I wanted, that I decided to just save time and make it myself.

ViolaClef likes this.
  9. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

As a supply teacher, I love it. It's very helpful when I arrive at a place to find no work has been left - I can just have a look at their books and print out something related to topic. Especially useful for geography / history and subjects I don't know much about as there is usually a PowerPoint to go with the printout as well. And it's differentiated. :)

guinnesspuss likes this.
  10. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

There are some good things on there but using for every lesson does sound dull, both from a teaching perspective and that of a child. I think the same is true of any resource though! I think there’s a balance to be found, I also dont think every teacher across the country making their own personalised worksheets and so on for every lesson is a good use of time either, though if people want to that’s their choice and I sometimes do it if I can’t find anything suitable.

For maths I find classroom secrets better than t winkl, but still dull if used every lesson.

11. helenemdee

helenemdee Occasional commenter

I know a school that uses classroom secrets for every maths lesson. The kids are just used to it I think. Some of the stuff on there is really challenging for the age group though.

12. baldeststudentintown

baldeststudentintown New commenter

I'm currently in my phase 1 placement teaching a small mixed year 3 4 and 5 class. On my third week of her seeing I was making all my own ppts, worksheets, resources etc my mentor sat me down and said "do yourself a favour, use these sites for resources, if anyone pulls you up tell them you're teaching 3 lessons per lesson" and give me her password to a twinkly one and one which gives secrets of the classroom.