1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Wordle

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Nickybo, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I have discovered Wordle recently and am looking for ideas for how to use it with my class (Y3).

One idea I have seen is to make posters with alternatives words for said (or other word). The children look in their reading books and collect all the words for said then put them in Wordle. If they find a word repeatedly then they repeat it in Wordle, which will then make the word bigger. I like that activity as I can see how the children would learn from it.

Has anyone else used Wordle in other ways, particularly in other subjects?

2. I have discovered Wordle recently and am looking for ideas for how to use it with my class (Y3).

One idea I have seen is to make posters with alternatives words for said (or other word). The children look in their reading books and collect all the words for said then put them in Wordle. If they find a word repeatedly then they repeat it in Wordle, which will then make the word bigger. I like that activity as I can see how the children would learn from it.

Has anyone else used Wordle in other ways, particularly in other subjects?

3. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

In maths for data handling. You could type in their favourite fruits for instance, the bigger ones will be the most popular. Another way of interpreting.

4. Have you seen this website:
    http://www.tagxedo.com/

5. I've used Tagxedo, which is similar but I think slightly pips Wordle (more freedom & creativity possible and still free!)

I've used it with a prolific 'and' user in writing. Typed it in and watched the class be amazed at how frequently it was used. Cut that right out with that particular child!

I've also used it to make sings for groups and tables that are a bit funkier than the usual boring things - yes I know I've too much time on my hands!

Other classes have also made shape poems with it.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOW Tagxeco is fab...never seen it before. Going to use it for various displays and bits for sure.

I thought wordle was great, but tagxeco is amazing!

Thank you.

7. Wowsers! I love Tagxedo. I think I'll make a star shape of the names of the children and adults in our class for the door. Thanks for sharing.

8. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Loving Tagxedo, going to sit and make some display posters for literacy, maths and our first topic! It's a beautiful day outside but I don't do sitting in the sun so I'm sitting with the french windows wide open watching the Olympic Canoe sprint contemplating all the lovely things I can make for my classroom! How sad am I?!?!

9. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

Loads of things on the web about using Wordle in the classroom - Tom Barrett's google doc is great. Also found this: http://greyhoundit.co.uk/using-wordle-in-schools/
    Hope these help! :)