1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

using wooden hockey sticks in primary school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clangercrazy, Apr 20, 2012.

1. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Just wondering what other's opinions are.... I taught year 4 in N. Yorks for 4 years and every year taught hockey, using wooden hockey sticks (argh! terrible! [​IMG] ) and I didn't make the kids wear shin pads or gum shields either, but told them they could if they wanted. There were never any injuries. (maybe I was just lucky...)
    I thought that this was fine, as long as we used primary tennis balls, and not the proper hard hockey balls. And that they would HAVE to wear gum shields and shin pads IF we used the proper hard hockey balls - which we never did. All the other staff at the school seemed to do the same, even PLT people etc.
    But have moved schools, and am teaching y6 now. And they only have 10 wooden hockey sticks in whole school. so we have to use those massive plastic ones, which I don't understand at all. But whenever I mention it they say primary kids can't use them, only for proper out of school matches, and only then if they wear shin pads/gum shields.
    They all say LEA/County tells them that, but WHERE is that info? Cos I cannot find anything that suggests that at all!
    What do others do? And WHERE is this guidance?!?![​IMG]

2. The plastic ones break outside. I always use wooden outside. No complainu7 so far

3. clangercrazy

do you make them wear shin pads and gum shields too?
    Do you use proper hockey balls?

4. Snap! And no shin pads or gum shields although obviously if a child had them and wanted to wear them, they could. Personally I hate using tennis balls with upper key stage 2 and no one has ever told me not to (may have even used them with my Year 4s - oops!) - does anyone else use actual hockey balls in their PE lessons? Personally I think its fine if you make safety points clear - no sticks raised above the knee, no lifted balls...
    From a skills development point of view, how can you teach children to use the flat side of the stick when both of them are (assuming your plastic sticks are essentially uni-hoc sticks? What does the PE co-ordinator say?
    Have you heard of Quicksticks? It is a primary version of hockey as developed by England Hockey (the governing body) so has been designed for 7 -11 year olds (a bit like High 5 netball was developed as a junior version of netball). Details at www.playquicksticks.co.uk . The website shows children playing with wooden sticks and also mentions quicksticks hockey balls that are larger and lighter than standard hockey balls.

5. We use quicksticks equipment but pupils only wear shin pads/gum shields for matches. They can wear them to after school club if they want but it isn't compulsory.

6. Yep, that sounds familiar. At our after school hockey club, shin pads were compulsory (we had spares available if chn didn't have them) and gum shields desirable but this was set by the coach who came in from a local club (think he was thinking of his insurance).

7. No to both. I use a ball heavier than a tennis ball, but not as hard/heavy as a proper hockey ball - but only cos we don't have any!
    I agree that a properly controlled game shouldn't be too dangerous. Simple rules about where and how to hold your stick, lots of emphasis that hockey is a non-contact sport etc.
    I have had the odd whacked ankle, but as I say to the whacked child - if you play hockey, then at some point, you're going to get a whack on the ankle. They seem generally OK with this, and no ranting parents so far.
    Mine know though, that I will send them off if I see a stick raised above the knee, or there's unnecessary contact with another player. They don't get second chances.

8. clangercrazy

thanks for the replies all.
    The sticks we used to use were small, and came in different sizes for smaller/shorter/taller kids etc
    Has anyone read any literature/guidance on any of this though?
    Cos sounds like you just do what I used to do at my old school....and did it with no probs no complaints.
    The issue now if, only 12 sticks at new school and can't get them to buy new ones because they say the kids can't use them. They are adament! Convinced! I wanted evidence to show them, to prove it. The 'quicksticks' stuff might do it, a start I suppose. We'll see!
    I hate using the plastic sticks, especialy with year 6 who are taller than me (and probably better at hockey than me.....), is just ridiculous!
    (there are typos in here but I can't be ars*d to fix them.....sorry....tough)

9. Plastic hockey sticks are Unihoc aren't they? Unihoc is an indoor sport. They aren't supposed to be used outside. Try that with them.

10. We use proper hockey sticks - lots of the girls have their own, and the boys just borrow them from the shed - and proper hockey balls. They do have to wear shin pads and gum shields, though.
    I make them wear shin pads for football and gum shields for rugby as well. (No playing without them, and if they do...well, don't come whining to me, if you get hurt.) How else are they supposed to get used to using appropriate equipment otherwise? It would be silly not to train with the protection and then to expect them to feel comfortable with it during a fixture.
    We do have plastic hockey sticks. I have used them...with SEN pupils and indoors. Wouldn't use them outdoors, since that's not what they are for.

11. clangercrazy

but the issue is, I would expect a school to porvide the sticks and balls, obvisouly the school cannot provide shin pads or buy gum shields for everyone. No school I've taught in anyway. AND no school I've taught in would all the class bring their own shin pads gum shields in, it just wouldn't happen, so therefore, of course I say they can if they want but I don't insist because of those that don't have them. Therefore, I always played it with wooden sticks and softer balls (ahem...) and those that had them wore shin pads/gum shields but those that didn't were not excluded.
    This new school suggesting they just can't use them at all unless ALL wear shin pads gum shields. Which means we do hockey with plastic unihoc sticks....which is sh*t.
    You must have worked in schools where everyone buys and brings in stuff leaving no-one out. Lucky you![​IMG]
    (yes there I typos, I don't care)

12. It's a middle school, so the equipment list is a bit more "secondary".