1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using the search function

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Didactylos4, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

After a foolish post I got a few people asking me if I would produce a guide to using the Search function on TES
    It was suggested that video wasn't accessible to all, :( and that I should keep it simple
    Not easy with this but I've tried:eek:
    It should all fit in one post but may take more so I'd appreciate no replies until it's all up here

To start go to the top of the page and click on the magnifying glass icon

upload_2017-1-29_1-50-48.jpeg

This gives you the page below

upload_2017-1-29_1-52-27.jpeg

I have typed "points" into the search box because I know that word is the key to what I'm searching for but you can search for a phrase here.
    You can also search other areas of the site by using the drop down box

This usually brings up anything with the search keyword or phrase in it

upload_2017-1-29_1-57-53.jpeg

There were a couple of pages of this so most people give up after a quick rummage through and curse the search engine.
    But there is another layer to Search
    I have drawn a red box around the "Search again" link and if you click on this when searching you get this

upload_2017-1-29_2-2-54.jpeg

IT DOES NOT COME WITH THE COLOURED BOXES I've added them to help explain
    At the top you can choose to search everything, threads and posts only or profile posts or tags (I've never searched profile posts but I've added tags to this thread so you can try tags) upload_2017-1-29_1-50-48.jpeg upload_2017-1-29_1-52-27.jpeg upload_2017-1-29_1-57-53.jpeg upload_2017-1-29_2-2-54.jpeg upload_2017-1-29_2-14-30.jpeg

You still have your key words at the top and you can add to or change them at this point
    You can choose to search thread titles only by clicking in the box just below the keyword

If you know who wrote the post you are searching for you can type in their name in the Posted by member (Blue) box
    It uses the same auto-select as conversations addressees

Where the red box is you can go in and select a "newer than" date (a calendar appears)

Where the Green box is you can select which forum to search and even search all the sub forums (I've never used the last one)

This usually thins out the crowd of options a bit

upload_2017-1-29_2-14-30.jpeg

This is ALL of the messages found using the criteria I selected and the one I was looking for is the one surrounded by the red box
    Clicking on the title of the thread (indicated by blue box) will take you to the message identified but may take you to the first message in the thread sometimes.
    Fortunately using the back button in your browser allows you to try again at any point

I'll try posting this as is but it may take a couple of messages

lanokia likes this.
  2. Didactylos4

Yay me -----only one
    But I did forget something and rather than edit and risk fouling it all up I' should add this
    The search again link allows you to reset any of your search criteria at any point up until you select a found thread. After that you have to use the browser back button to get to it again

Feel free to criticise, add your own experience/hints or point out any better techniques.
    :)

3. Didactylos4

Great!
    The damned formatting just changed and inserted duplicate pictures :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. Didactylos4

Can you fix this @TES_Rosaline please

Or shall I just do it all again

2nd option chosen

5. Didactylos4

@TES_Rosaline
    If you delete everything above this I'd be grateful. If you can't people will have to start here
    Version 2
    After a foolish post I got a few people asking me if I would produce a guide to using the Search function on TES
    It was suggested that video wasn't accessible to all, :( and that I should keep it simple
    Not easy with this but I've tried:eek:
    It should all fit in one post but may take more so I'd appreciate no replies until it's all up here

To start go to the top of the page and click on the magnifying glass icon

[​IMG]

This gives you the page below

[​IMG]

I have typed "points" into the search box because I know that word is the key to what I'm searching for but you can search for a phrase here.
    You can also search other areas of the site by using the drop down box

This usually brings up anything with the search keyword or phrase in it

[​IMG]

There were a couple of pages of this so most people give up after a quick rummage through and curse the search engine.
    But there is another layer to Search
    I have drawn a red box around the "Search again" link and if you click on this when searching you get this

[​IMG]

IT DOES NOT COME WITH THE COLOURED BOXES I've added them to help explain

At the top you can choose to search everything, threads and posts only or profile posts or tags (I've never searched profile posts but I've added tags to this thread so you can try tags)

You still have your key words at the top and you can add to or change them at this point
    You can choose to search thread titles only by clicking in the box just below the keyword

If you know who wrote the post you are searching for you can type in their name in the Posted by member (Blue) box
    It uses the same auto-select as conversations addressees

Where the red box is you can go in and select a "newer than" date (a calendar appears)

Where the Green box is you can select which forum to search and even search all the sub forums (I've never used the last one)

and click search at the bottom

This usually thins out the crowd of options a bit

[​IMG]

This is ALL of the messages found using the criteria I selected and the one I was looking for is the one surrounded by the red box
    Clicking on the title of the thread (indicated by blue box) will take you to the message identified but may take you to the first message in the thread sometimes.
    Fortunately using the back button in your browser allows you to try again at any point
    The search again link allows you to reset any of your search criteria at any point up until you select a found thread. After that you have to use the browser back button to get to it again

Feel free to criticise, add your own experience/hints or point out any better techniques.
    :)

6. Didactylos4

It's suddenly very late (or very early in the morning) and I quit for now
    With apologies...:oops::(:(

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

@Didactylos4 Thank you for putting this up and I'm sure others will benefit in the future.
    I had no idea that one could even click on that little magnifying glass. :oops: Took me a couple of clicks to get it to do anything and I've certainly gone a very long-winded way round in the past :oops: which yielded little useful results o_O. Hence use it very little.
    I know for me I need to go through such a post step by step several times, before it 'becomes automatic' but honestly when I devote some time to it I know I will really benefit from your instructions and post.

So a HUGE THANK YOU, especially as you were doing it in the early hours. Having sat in on a couple of coding lessons when I was teaching I can appreciate the time it took and how easy it will have been to miss something.

So no need to apologise.

8. Didactylos4

Thanks for that Lara It's appreciated
    But it wasn't my best effort

However it did (accidentally) give me the opportunity to discover another "interesting and novel" system anomaly.
    And to pass on a reminder to folk about how to avoid the problems it causes.

If you post more than one picture in a message then whilst still composing a message you may get this option appearing at the bottom of the compose window. (another dangerous version appears if you post a single picture)

upload_2017-1-29_10-53-13.jpeg

DO NOT CLICK ON EITHER unless you really have to
    In fact go nowhere near them just in case you click on them by accident.
    It can duplicate any pictures you have already put into the message
    You have been warned !!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Already fallen foul of that one before now. :oops:

10. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

And to avoid having to search for the how to use the search function thread - I wonder if the Mods could stickimafy this thread @TES_Rosaline

HHmmmnnn I wonder if any of the other Mods get jealous that we only ever @ Rosaline? If there are any other Mods out there who would like us to pester them, feel free to out yourself/ves

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

12. Didactylos4

Probably better if they do a better version and add it to the relevant thread in the Welcome forum

I've had help and replies from lots of TES staff on various points but, if my memory serves, Rosaline suggested she was probably the best 1st point of call probably because she knows exactly who to direct queries to

Lara mfl 05 likes this.