1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using the past tense in recounts Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thepinkrachael, Jan 30, 2011.

1. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

I teach Year 1, predominantly EAL children and they really struggle with the past tense. We are doing recounts this week and would really like to get some of them at least using the past tense more securely.
    Just hoping someone might have some ideas to help teach children to use past tense instead of the present in a way they might remember - something interactive? Anything a bit interesting really!

2. thepinkrachael

I teach Year 1, predominantly EAL children and they really struggle with the past tense. We are doing recounts this week and would really like to get some of them at least using the past tense more securely.
    Just hoping someone might have some ideas to help teach children to use past tense instead of the present in a way they might remember - something interactive? Anything a bit interesting really!

3. Usually I would just say make sure they are doing plenty of talking about it, so they know their sentence and then clapping each word etc and writing it down straight away - when children talk they normally naturally speak in the past tense and writing is just the next step.
    The problem is that they are EAL and you have the battle of actually teaching them the words first I imagine - I dont envy your position and am sorry to not be able to offer more advice!

4. thepinkrachael

Thanks, we are doing lots of talk and it is helping, but like you say it's teaching them the right words to use when that is the problem! Just really wanted to push it this week while it ties in with what we are doing.