1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using the #flteach hashtag on twitter

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by GroovyGuzi, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I agree, Martin. Using a hashtag that makes more sense worldwide is a good idea. Few people outside the UK know what MFL stands for. I realised this some time ago when I began editing the ICT4LT site. I had used the abbreviation throughout the site, but then I began to receive messages from teachers outside the UK - mainly Americans - asking me what it meant. So I expanded MFL to Modern Foreign Languages throughout the site. FL is much more common worldwide. In the project reports that I have written for the European Commission FL is thee recommended abbreviation. LOTE (Languages Other Than English) is used in Australia.
    FLTeach has been around as a forum ever since I can remember, going right back to the listservs (sic) that predated the Web. Here is the URL: http://www.cortland.edu/flteach/
    I think the #flteach hashtag initiative on Twitter is beginning to work. It opens our horizons on FL teaching worldwide. I have become a bit concerned in recent years that we are becoming blinkered in the UK and indulging in too much navel-gazing.
    Regards
    Graham

2. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

Why protect tweets? Most people don't. I don't, and I've probably had 2 or 3 spam tweets in 6 months. Or is it something that is advised by schools / LEAs?

3. I just ask people with unprotected accounts to retweet my messages.
    I have to protect my tweets. When I joined Twitter they were unprotected, but I then I began to receive an increasing amount of spam, so I protected them. I then unprotected them for a short while and there was a veritable flood of spam - over a hundred messages in just a few days - so I protected my tweets once more as I was pending too much time filtering out the rubbish and blocking people. I am not sure why certain people are targeted in this way, but it may have something to do with the way their profile is presented and how well they are known. There is one very determined person who has tried to follow me under three different pseudonyms. I let him follow me on the first occasion, but it was clear that this was a mistake as he just filled up my inbox (and doubtless the inboxes of many others) with irrelevant rubbish. He has been reported to Twitter by myself and several other people, but it does not stop him.
    I give enough information about myself in my profile to enable people to determine who I really am and what my interests are, and I expect other people to do the same. If someone wants to follow me I always check their profile first. If they give no information or only sketchy information then I block them. I take a similar line on Facebook. My Facebook account is set at a high security level, but it has been hacked twice in 12 months, the most recent example being an offensive photo that was sent to all my friends using my name. The photo was immediately removed, however, by Facebook management, so I doubt that anyone actually viewed it. I then had to go through a series of security checks and reset my password.
    My email account has also been targeted on two occasions. Each time it was used as the return address for a spammer. This resulted in my account being bombarded with bounced messages and irate messages from people who thought that I was the source of the spam. The bounces were coming in at the rate of over 1000 per hour. My ISP had to block my account for a few days. They explained that when this happens it is very difficult to determine the real source of the spam as spammers are very clever at hiding their whereabouts. Fortunately, this kind of attack on an email address only lasts a few days until the spammer moves on to another victim. I changed ISPs recently, and now I receive very little spam as it is blocked by my ISP before it reaches me. I have a second line of defence, MailWasher Pro, which filters out the odd spam email that sneaks through.
    You cna't be too careful!
    Regards
    Graham

4. dalej

dalej New commenter

I think using TweetDeck, creating lists and using hashtags are great ways of organising your Twitter stream. As for protecting tweets, I started off as unprotecting, but then like Graham got so frustrated by the constant spam follows and the time it took to block them, that I decided to protect them. At the end of the day it's a personal choice, but if your tweets are unprotected it means anyone can see what you are tweeting about, not just by following you but also by simply visiting your Twitter page.

5. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I protect my tweets partly for the reasons outlined above, and also because my LA is <u>very</u> strict in its guidance to teachers about social networking sites. Better safe than sorry, in my book.
    [​IMG]