1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using target language to teach grammar at KS4

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by clblake3, Feb 1, 2016.

1. clblake3

clblake3 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm trying to explore various strategies for the use of target language. I feel confident using TL when we're discussing content however I am always wary of using TL when teaching grammar to KS4. I have a class of 31 where the current working grade ranges from A to F. I would like to know if anyone has any tips/advice on how to deliver grammar lessons to such a varied number of students without them feeling intimidated or clueless?
    All ideas would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Claire

2. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

You might feel confident using TL to discuss content but have you asked the pupils how they feel about it? Do they understand you?

My advice regarding grammar is to teach it in English. Period.

If you feel you must do it in TL, do that afterwards for the observer so he or she can tick the box for you.

Is someone trying to make you use TL all the time? Are they making you do it against your will? Show me on this dolly where they touched you and we'll lock them away where they can do no more harm.

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Why not go for a mixture? Use English to explain grammar or to compare target language sentences with English translations. Get the pupils to use the target language by adapting model sentences that illustrate the grammar point in question. There's nothing wrong with training pupils to understand a target language instruction along the lines of 'Write three new sentences - change the red words'.