1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using tablets in the classroom

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Shaney24, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Shaney24

Shaney24 New commenter

Just wondering how people use tablets within the classroom. Are there any apps you would recommend?

2. gerdmuller

gerdmuller New commenter

My classroom is part of a Samsung pilot scheme, so we use them quite a bit. The good bit about Android systems is that if an app is naff, you can get a refund - unless it's one of the many free ones about.

The right apps depend on ages and how they're used. I hate it when tablets are just used as a 'keeping busy' tool. The right apps for the right kids can be incredibly effective and help an awful lot with differentiation. That said, I can go a couple of days at a time without needing them. They introduce a lot of pace and rigour into lessons, but only when they complement the focus of what I'm trying to teach.

Many of the best apps are not ones which deliver knowledge. A simple QR reader can revolutionise your resourcing: having the codes to hand for the children can speed up some kids dramatically and you can go into detail at a much deeper level than classroom display. Apps like VivaVideo and Explain Everything are terrific for helping children achieve clarity with speaking and listening. From EYFS to Y6, most children are quite unaware of how they really come across. Many of my pupils follow up a hazy explanation with "But you know what I mean!" and being able to review what they actually said is really powerful. The research project which comes with the Samsung programme has noted this in every school: the social and personal skills which have came on leaps and bounds.

Google Classroom is a must. Set assignments, collect them, store multimedia in the cloud and instantly share it with the class: I love it. There's plenty of good apps for multiplication tables and mental maths. My class love the Simply Fractions range of apps too, pretty good for visualising fractions and then moving on through the curriculum content.

If your school can afford it, IXL Maths is terrific too. I've tried the 30 day trials before and it's a good app which moves kids on according to their progress with each strand.

Interactive quizzes are great too. Kahoot! can be a simple 5 minute plenary quiz, or lead an entire lesson depending on the feedback to questions - you can squash a misconception or knowledge gap right there on the spot.

3. brambles25

brambles25 New commenter

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

- 2 x 500mg paracetamol at around half past ten when we've just finished maths.
    - Half an aspirin daily in the second week of May

Just me though, not the kids.

Snoopy1975 likes this.