1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Success Criteria

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tennyson, Jan 19, 2011.

1. When and how do you introduce success criteria to your class? How do you give each group their (differentiated) criteria? Our head is having a real purge on how they are used!

2. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

We don't!

Goodness knows how our children learn anything without them.

3. I don't.
    Unless I'm being observed. Then they MIGHT get some.

4. We use them as a checklist for writing or as a step by step method in maths and science, and usually during the modelling bit of the lesson. Don't differentiate it though... Shirley Clark found that the task should be differentiated, but the sc should be the same.

I love success criteria! They make it easy to identify which bit a child needs to work on and they can identify it too.

5. As a checklist for the children to tick off at the end of the session at the end of each unit. For literacy it would have the features of the text type on it. We then tick the parts that the child has met and write a comment. When county advisers came in they seemed quite pleased with that method...not sure about ofsted...we haven't had one for four years and gave just received a golden letter :)

6. Our golden ticket expires in September [​IMG]

7. I like the sound of this in theory - but in practise found it impossible with very mixed ability (mixed year group and disproportionate numbers of both G&T and SEN in same class), especially in maths. Maths adviser agreed with Shirley C, but wasn't much help at actually coming up with same success criteria for whole class (eg when some are learning 2x facts and others are on to grid multiplication - if the SC are the same for all they are so simplistic as to be useless). The assumption seemed to be that the SEN children had IEP targets instead - as if that would cover all topics.
    But I love success criteria in English (though have had feedback both that my SC were too simplified or too complex from different advisers/inspectors) and for things in maths where everyone is actually doing the same procedure.
    Also good for science (though differentiation can be tricky again) and D&T particularly.

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

At the beginning of the lesson, right after we have given the children an outline of the lesson and explained the objective. "You can achieve this objective by....". If if it a new branch of the topic I might wait until I have used the introduction to assess prior knowledge but definitely before the main.

9. I hate SC as its so formal and automatically see the lights go off.
    I tried to use WILF- a little class dog called wilfred- saying wilfred is lookign for:
    now just stay LO'------------- and our checklist for today is x, x. x. Sort of go into detail on how bothered I can be. At the end of the lesson we sit back down and do thumbs up for each part and we give it a big or small tick for how wel its done.
    I really struggle to come up with SC that are learning and not just what hte task is but hey ho. Some teachers in school give the childrne a WILF table so one part is wilf, second part is' have i achieved it?' third' does your teacher agree'

they stick it in and fill it in every lesson. Tried for a while but gave up quickly! xx

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I do PA cover in my school [no PPA, hence no planning of my own] and so can see how successful SC really are.
    They are an inexact science. The shoulds, coulds and musts are often misplaced. I don't blame anybody. Things turn out differently from what you expect.

11. I have a LO & SC for every session.
    It's put into child friendly speak e.g.
    Learning objective- We are learning to ...........
    The SC - I can ...... (which is a statement telling them what they should do in order to achieve the LO)
    Lancs grid for learning numeracy plans have the LOs & I can statements if that's helpful.

12. I show SC at the beginning to show how they can meet the LI. It is left up on the IWB for children to refer to during the lesson or sometimes small copies are in their books so they can tick them off. We can then refer to it again in the plenary for self assessment. What works well in literacy, I find, is that if it fits the lesson the children create the SC as a whole class and that way they really engage in what they need to do.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Like most things if they are used in lessons where they are not applicable then they are useless. If used judiciously then they are fabulous.

I use WALT for the LO and WILF for the SC in line with school policy. Always have a WALT, use it instead of a title, might forget to share it with the children sometimes though. Have a WILF if it is sensible to do so. Otherwise don't bother.

14. I agree - I want to use them properly, not just because we're told to. Sometimes I make them too simplistic or just an echo of the activity or LO.

15. Head wants SC differentiated, although sometimes difficult in Literacy.

16. I use them in every lesson and find them very useful. I either display them on the IWB and refer to them; read them for a lesson like PE and they are also stuck into their books so that they can refer to them as they are doing their work, for instance to think what they could do next. I use the MUST, SHOULD and COULD. I try to make the COULD a HOT task (Higher order thinking).
    I often refer to them during the lesson, eg When I'm marking your work I will be looking for.. Have you shown me you have achieved must/should/could. Make sure children are doing what I have set them, rather than what they want - eg the success criteria says that you must use vertical addition, why are you partioning?! You will not achieve the sc. At the beginning of a lesson I sometimes ask children to put a dot next to the one they are aiming for, and at the end they may also put a dot or tick on the lefthandside. I then tick the righthand side or highlight it to show which they have achieved. If a more able children is consistently only achieving the must, then I need to do something.
    I also put the lo and sc on top of any sheets they are sticking in or give them a slip with the lo and sc to stick into their books at the beginning of the lesson - this takes time, but also saves the time of them writing it out and means it is easier to highlight/read/mark, etc.
    It has taken me a while to get into using them all the time, but it does become useful and I think makes marking easier.
    Examples
    english lesson looking at items a dragonologist had left in our classroom -
    MUST: observe carefully.SHOULD: analyse what these possessions tell you about their owner. (HOT Analyse) COULD: Decide on the most useful item and justify your opinion. (HOT Evaluate)
    PE
    <u>LO: I can improvise with a partner.</u><u></u>MUST: suggest how performances could be improved so that they communicate the dance idea more effectively.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Just one more burden to shoulder upon the children to me..i use them because i have to, but i find kids dont bother and its a struggle just to get my yr3 to use a capitals and full stop( long story)....although we remind them and they are next stepped on these!
    Just more time for teachers to waste and i do not think they solve the problems.Sorry.
    They do get LO's and i do explain my expectations and mark to them.........but criterea..nope!
    (One teacher ,no IWB and one small write on white board........its a good job i can cover my iwb with sugar paper and blue tack! lol) D Sigh!

18. Hi! I don't know if this would help in this context, but we started using "learning ladders" for maths skills. Each step of the calculation is a step up the ladder, which I suppose could be used as self-differentiated success criteria, targetting the next step up as appropriate. For example: Addition: the lowest step might be "I know the value of each digit in a number up to 100", then "I can set out a calculation using the compact method"; "I can add the digits (no carrying needed)"; I can carry from units to tens and tens to hundreds"; finally "I can solve any 3 digit + 3 digit number".
    I would like to put examples up on Resources, but not sure where I stand on copyright issues. They were compiled by Ben Harding and Chris Boddy of Focus Education if you want to do a search.