1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using student as reference?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by anon261, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I'm about to apply for a teaching job and just wondered what your opinion would be on asking one of my tutees for a reference?
    I'm an NQT so don't really have any school teaching references as yet and because i've been out for 4 years I can only really use my college one. My last employment was in a training capacity and not in a school. What do you think?

Many Thanks

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My opinion would be - don't.
    The expected referees for an NQT are 1) from their University Tutor for their PGCE and 2) from one of their mentors at a school placement. If you use someone else then it looks as if you have something to hide.

3. Hi
    With all due respect, many of your posts are a little 'naive/insecure'
    If you are an NQT then you have had to have been mentored, observed and on a placement even if it wasnt recently. Out of interest, have you completed the NQT year? (I thought that ws done within a certain time period?)
    Having students work and showing some progression and their feedback, having a reference from them? not for me.
    Regardless of age, they see you as an expert helping them. This alone can be bias. Is this the same one you mentioned recently? The one you have started with now?
    Reference is a professional account IMO. If you cannot dig someone out of the PGCE/GTP year even now then I would find that alarming. You will just get one from your previous employer even if it was outside of education. Its likely you will be asked to provide that regardless

4. Betamale is correct, using a reference from someone you are mentoring is a very bad idea and would not get you anywhere. I can see the angle you were coming from but just don't do it.

I think it would be worth a shot to try and get a reference from the place you were a trainee, especially if you were on good terms with them when you left.

Maybe you could see if any schools in your area are looking for people to do one to one mentoring? How about a TA job as a step to a teaching vacancy? I suggest the TA option because it worked for a friend of mine who had just finished her PGCE. It might help you to get a more up to date reference.

Best of luck with your applications, hope you get the outcome you wish for.

5. DM

DM New commenter

Some of our TAs don't even have GCSEs in mathematics and english.

6. Yes, agree with DM, no specific qualifications for being a TA. My friend had done a History degree and then PGCE. She didn't find a teaching job for September but did get a TA job. As she said, at least it kept her in education. In November she managed to get a teaching job that she has taken up this term. One of her references came from the school where she had been a TA.

The other advantage of being a TA would be that it would give you a chance to observe different teachers and maybe pick up on some small group teaching. I know that when I've had TAs with me that have wanted to go into teaching, then I've done my best to help them gain some experience and confindence.

Again, best of luck and hope some of the suggestions help you, do let us know how you get on.