1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

using social media (facebook, twitter etc) to attract students

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by mielo59, Dec 30, 2015.

1. mielo59

mielo59 New commenter

Does anyone have any experience of using sites like facebook or twitter to get new students?

I must be one of the very few people who does not use Social media websites. A friend of mine recommended that I try using facebook to publicise my business.

2. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

I use it as my main source of advertising, and letting people I know know that I am available. And it remains my best source. I've been on Facebook for years, so have a lot of friends on it. And all my regular tutees have come from that - people I've taught want me to teach their children, or friends of friends who have found me through that source. It means people can trust my skills because it is through personal contact. The only other thing I tried was a local parish magazine, which has a large circulation, but I've still yet to recoup the cost of the advert, which was £60 for three months. I got my first regular gig from that this week, having been advertising for three months.

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

colinbillett likes this.
  4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I use Facebook to advertise. You need to set up a personal profile first, from which you can create a 'page' for your business (your business links will not necessarily be able to see your personal profile). Sponsored posts - paid for - on Facebook can reach your target audience...which is actually more likely to be the students themselves, especially if targeting GCSE and AS/A2 students. If they want a tutor - and I find they often initiate the process - they will see your advert.

peterdevon and colinbillett like this.
  5. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

I have a Facebook page but haven't tried paying to advertise on Facebook yet. I get more work from my website and tutor websites.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I use facebook and I also have a website. Facebook is free and has brought me far more work than my website

peterdevon likes this.
  7. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

I have a facebook page to publicise my work as an online tutor but have had no joy from it yet. Local business is no problem at the moment.

8. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

I am wondering about safe-guarding here. Any thoughts?

9. fantastischfish

Safeguarding? Why would that be a problem?

10. colinbillett

I'm afraid the safeguarding question is lost on me too. Why would it be an issue through social media?

11. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

Female tutors working alone in their own homes ? I had a strange parent on First Tutors once, turned out to be just odd/shy but looking back at the conversation it looked potentially weird.

colinbillett likes this.
  12. fantastischfish

That's a reasonable concern. What was confusing to me was that the quote your selected was to do with the use of Facebook to advertise rather than specifically about tutoring in your own home so I thought you were raising concerns about using social media for advertising purposes.

As a female tutor myself, I do not work from home for that reason. I think most parents would far rather that a tutor comes to then than vice versa, though naturally it is more expensive that way.

13. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I expect that most of the time this is down to laziness, on the kid's and/or parents' part, rather than any worries about safeguarding.

As I state very clearly on my profiles, good tutors are in too much demand to be able to waste their time making house calls. I certainly couldn't do the amount of tutoring I do if I had to travel to students' homes. I always tell parents that they are more than welcome to sit in on sessions if they have any worries.

14. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I don't have a specific facebook page, but I have had a few pupils via local services facebook pages where parents looking for tutors ask for recommendations. It's basically a more modern form of word of mouth. I don't think it's any more risky than any other activity where you arrange to meet up with someone via the internet. I don't usually make my address public and usually exchange mobile nos via private messaging so we can check details by phone beforehand.
    I may be more reluctant to take on a student if their facebook postings contain anything dodgy on public settings and make sure that my personal pages have appropriate privacy settings so my family photos etc. cannot be seen by students.

15. fantastischfish

I disagree and I find it rather rude that you speak about potential clients in that way. I have clients who have several children, including little ones that can't be left alone whilst they traipse across to my house (up to 15miles away), wait around for an hour then go home. It's more convenient for their family life, not due to laziness.

I couldn't fit more students in anyway, even if I was at home. Have my first student at 4.30-5.30 (can't be earlier in case I'm supply teaching), then even if my next student arrive immediately to do 5.30-6.30, I wouldn't want to fit another in 6.30-7.30 as my husband would be home by then and the poor guy would have to stay upstairs until I was finished.

I am looking into to offering group revision sessions at weekends. I think this would be easier as I'd offer two-hour sessions at my house. I think that's a more reasonable time for parents to go off and do other things before coming back for their child.

DonutBoy99, ah3069 and colinbillett like this.
  16. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I never ceased to be amused by people who find statements they don't agree with rude.
    Maybe you do. However, I often find it's a case of people living only a couple of miles away, where an (older) student could easily get themselves round to me.

17. fantastischfish

"I don't think junior doctors are right to go out on strike". Now there's an example of a statement I disagree with, but it's not rude.

"People are just lazy if they find it more convenient to have tutoring in their own home". That's rude. Calling people lazy is rude.

peterdevon and DonutBoy99 like this.
  18. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

I don't think going to students is a bad thing, and if i'm honest doesn't waste much time. With proper planning you can localise yourself to a different area each day, and then you get to have a break in the car whilst you have your 5 minute journey to the next tuttee.

I can see positives to both, but it seems to suit the majority of people to have a tutor come to them, like @Eva_Smith said, people are busy nowadays, that is not a reflection on being a bad parent or not caring enough, gone are the days when most mothers were housewives and the average family had 2.5 children, so in some cases the difference between a travelling tutor or a travelling child could mean they are not tutored at all. Also as most people do not live on their own, a lot of families would probably prefer to come home and be able to relax, not to have to avoid areas of the house because a spouse is tutoring children there.

Surely it's better that they have the tutoring they need regardless of the location.

colinbillett likes this.
  19. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I live on my own. I am female. I have two big dogs, daft ones but dogs nevertheless. I am not worried about safety. I do a mix of tutoring from home and in other people's houses. Not everyone can travel for one reason or another , an example being a local childminder, she has a group of kids that I go to to teach in her home. There is no way she could get them to me. I have plenty of adults learners who are more than happy to travel to me but I do not consider travelling to be a waste of time. If I can fit in a student on my route and they need me to travel, I travel, if I can't fit it in, I turn it down if they cannot come to me and I never wait long to fill a space, sometimes I have a waiting list. the fact that I am prepared to travel does not make me any less good than a tutor who does not travel.

colinbillett likes this.
  20. colinbillett

Ditto on the two big dogs, and the GDS is far from daft. But I live in a High Street so parking is impossible, and not enough rooms to provide a waiting area for parents. Like Langteaher I book my learners to suit travel, and have only a few minutes between each one. I prefer to go to the learner's homes, where they will feel safe and comfortable. But I've said that recently in a different forum and a lot of the above arguments have been gone through previously.