1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Smart Phones as a tool to engage with history, heritage and museums... Your help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by _laura_, Jan 18, 2018.

1. _laura_

_laura_ New commenter

Hi,

After teaching for over ten years, I have taken a break to return to study, and complete a Masters in Heritage Management.

As part of my research, I am looking to explore how Smart / mobile phones may be used to engage students (and possibly wider audiences) with history, heritage and museums. My research is still in the very early stages, so any comments etc you may have would be appreciated.

My questions to you:

*Have you used mobile phones functions and apps either in or out of the classroom to engage students with history and heritage? If so, what and how?

*Have you ever used smart phone apps or functions on a field trip to a historical site or museum with students?

Thank you in advance,

Laura

2. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Perhaps you could use your smartphone to goggle the answer to this question.
    Most students will only use apps which interest them. I have used google classroom app but they never use it because they are not interested.

3. _laura_

_laura_ New commenter

I agree that 'interest to students' is a mitigating factor in using apps. There are a lot of apps out there, but not all of them interest and engage. My students used to love 'Kahoot' as a recap tool which used to interest them in the last lesson on Friday.

4. gogogulliver

gogogulliver New commenter

As an FE English teacher, my experience is that while lots of them enjoy an element of competition with things like Kahoot, there are also students who see the whole thing as a timewaster. I've had groups directly ask me if they need to do it because it's just a quiz at the end. Many younger people see their phones not as a supercomputer with access to the largest repository of human knowledge ever created, but as a way of sharing things with their friends and keeping a low level of social communication going; they're social tools, not work tools.

Another factor is that it's hard to do whole-class activities because smartphone ownership is not 100%.

Some students won't have data, or have parental blocks in place, or have 15% battery to last the rest of the day (which could be because they are disorganised but could also be because they spent the night in emergency foster care) which means you have to come up with alternatives. I've got a stack of laminated coloured paper to use for kahoot-related emergencies so they can participate.

Some SEN students' parents don't let them have smartphones (or phone at all, in some cases) because of over-protection and you need to be mindful of very low income students who can't afford them, or can afford the phone but no credit.

This leads to access issues in class and makes activities that rely on smartphone/app use inaccessible, which is one reason I'm inclined not to use them as much as I potentially could.

I've worked in heritage before going into teaching, so I'd really be interested in following your research. It sounds interesting!