1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Smart Phones as a tool to engage with history, heritage and museums... Your help appreciated!

Discussion in 'History' started by _laura_, Jan 18, 2018.

1. _laura_

_laura_ New commenter

Hi,

After teaching for over ten years, I have taken a break to return to study, and complete a Masters in Heritage Management.

As part of my research, I am looking to explore how Smart / mobile phones may be used to engage students (and possibly wider audiences) with history, heritage and museums. My research is still in the very early stages, so any comments etc you may have would be appreciated.

My questions to you:

*Have you used mobile phones functions and apps either in or out of the classroom to engage students with history and heritage? If so, what and how?

*Have you ever used smart phone apps or functions on a field trip to a historical site or museum with students?

Thank you in advance,

Laura

2. brightonweb

brightonweb New commenter

Hi Laura

My company makes location based games based on tablets and smartphones. With a TSB grant and in conjunction with Brighton Uni we developed Invisible Buildings - think virtual Time Team where students get to dig up a Roman villa on their own school playing fields - see here

We have done something similar for English Heritage at a number of venues as part of their Awesome Archaeology project. And we have created a site specific app for Lewes Priory where students find and "dig up" what would have been the bakery and brewhouse.

I have just written an article on some work we have been doing recently and hope to try out in schools - a history project that turns into a location based game. This is a draft version - would be interested to hear your thoughts.

So this doesn't really answer your questions from a user point of view, but hopefully useful anyway

Best
    Richard Vahrman
    LocoMatrix

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I work part-time at a heritage site, and we already display QR codes in certain places to link to our website, phone signal permitting. It struck me that this could be developed further by placing marker posts at certain points around the site where a QR code would link to a past photograph (or reconstruction drawing) from exactly the same spot. In effect the mobile device user would see the site in 4D.

Obviously nowhere close to some of the VR applications that are possible but we are very low budget, with erratic mobile coverage and we don't even have an internet connection on site so we can't offer wi-fi.