1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using secondary sources in gcse art and design

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by breonconnolly, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Hi all, I was wondering how and what is the best way to use secondary source images that will not simply encourage my students to use Google images. Do any of you create your own image bank or have a range of secondary source stuff to support students e.g. Books about animals, birds, plants, fish...etc..etc? Advice on how to encourage discerning visual research please.

2. Hi all, I was wondering how and what is the best way to use secondary source images that will not simply encourage my students to use Google images. Do any of you create your own image bank or have a range of secondary source stuff to support students e.g. Books about animals, birds, plants, fish...etc..etc? Advice on how to encourage discerning visual research please.

3. tomyum

tomyum New commenter

Hi,
    I have recently started using pinterest.com - easy to sign up and create an account, so can be used to put together a bank of images or artworks. There are loads of excellent Art-related boards being created, and you can search by topic for the theme you want.
    I also ask my students to join and then follow me, so I know they've at least registered an interest! I ca, of course, also see what they're doing and finding.
    'Draw Draw Draw' http://pinterest.com/drawdrawdraw/ is an excellent pinterest poster with loads of resources. I'm not recommending my account as it's still early days and I'm trying to build up my boards over the next few weeks!

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

pinterest- nice idea, I use it in class, but take care getting students to follow you when it's not monitored by school. (A sad fact, but it's just one of those things, and you have to protect yourself!) I got the network manager to set up a blog for Art on our school system. Staff and students post images, artists and ideas for projects. Also have banks of images in a folder on the shared area.
    Tend not to encourage the use of secondary sources too much at GCSE. Get students to take their own photos and develop work and ideas from those, artists' work and observational studies.