1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using retells for levelling writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greenpaddy, Apr 29, 2012.

1. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

We have been told to have different genre as evidence for moderation. Only one piece for each genre.

2. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Thanks- think I might use the Easter Story then! I didn't actually show them a written version that they copied. We did an Easter play and discussed the story and they rewrote it. Hoping it's ok!
    I have another query! I'm starting the Spelling SAT's tomorrow and wondered how to actually adminster it, Have had a look at the ARA 2012 but doesn't say if I read the words out for them to spell- sorry if it sounds stupid! There is an image and not sure if I tell children to look at the image and write what it is?? I think I'm reading the words and chn write correct spellings in the spaces but just want to make sure!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Read the teacher's guide, it tells you everything to say and not say.

4. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

It's in school!! I've spent so long reading the ARA and thought I had all the
    information I needed about administering the tests. For writing I also used
    the teachers book on testbaseand didn't realise there was a sparate one for spelling as it's not available on testbase.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I promise it isn't hard. I grabbed it on Thursday morning and read it in 5 mins then did the test with the guide in front of me. Honestly you don't need to worry, it is my first time in year 2 and I'm old and senile yet I managed it.

Actually you could give it to a year 6 child five mins before the test and they would be able to do it. You really will be ok.

You just tell them what the pictures are and they write the word. Then for the passage you read it once while they follow it, then read it again and they fill in the gaps.

6. sara2323

sara2323 New commenter

Aww thank you- can you tell I'm panicking just finished my SATs timetable! it sort of clashes with year 6 though. I'm in a very small school and year 6 would probably be using up all the available rooms.
    I am being moderated on the 25th and also sorting a folder of evidence for the selected children. Just looked at the APP standards files and sort of copied the way they had organised evidence for each sub level.