1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using references

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by flower16, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Hi I have a question regarding references, I am currently working on supply but have not yet completed any of my NQT, I am unable to use a headteacher reference mainly because I havent worked at one school for more that 2 weeks just random days. I am also unable to use my school placement mentors as references as they are too old. Any advice of who I could use as my references?

2. Hi I have a question regarding references, I am currently working on supply but have not yet completed any of my NQT, I am unable to use a headteacher reference mainly because I havent worked at one school for more that 2 weeks just random days. I am also unable to use my school placement mentors as references as they are too old. Any advice of who I could use as my references?

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Why? I recently wrote a reference for an ex-trainee who left my care 2 years ago. She got the job!

4. I would use your PGCE tutor, placement tutor of main placement and any school you worked at for period of time that gave them a chance to really know you...so if you did 2 weeks somewhere but made an impact and the Head really got to know you (as the case may be in a small one form entry school as opposed to a large 3/4 form entry school) then ask them could they write even a brief statement of support that you could quote in a supporting letter.
    If you don't ask you don't get- its a tough market out there...put yourself out there and make sure you stand out!

5. Your uni tutor should be able to provide a leaving reference. The agency can sometimes write a letter on the basis of your time with them and often they will have comments from schools about your work even if you were only there for a few days/weeks.
    The Sage