1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using reading schemes in the wrong order

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Nov 30, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Some schools seem to use reading scheme books in the wrong order - I'm referring here to both decodably synthetic phonics based schemes, and sight word based schemes .e.g the old Biff, Chip and Kipper ORT books.
    They stick the schemes in boxes by "stage" or "bookbands" but then the children pick the books out of the box themselves and read the books in the wrong order.
    I have always failed to understand this method. A sightword based scheme presumably introduces and practices words in a particular order, and will be easier to learn from if used in the order in which it was intended, and the same goes for decodable readers which introduce GPCs in the order used by that particular scheme.
    So what is the rationale for doing it this way? And doesn't it muck things up?

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Some schools seem to use reading scheme books in the wrong order - I'm referring here to both decodably synthetic phonics based schemes, and sight word based schemes .e.g the old Biff, Chip and Kipper ORT books.
    They stick the schemes in boxes by "stage" or "bookbands" but then the children pick the books out of the box themselves and read the books in the wrong order.
    I have always failed to understand this method. A sightword based scheme presumably introduces and practices words in a particular order, and will be easier to learn from if used in the order in which it was intended, and the same goes for decodable readers which introduce GPCs in the order used by that particular scheme.
    So what is the rationale for doing it this way? And doesn't it muck things up?