1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Prezi for ocr nationals unit 4 Anyone done it?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by scruffycat, Jul 19, 2012.

1. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

I am sick to death of powerpoint and are the kids. We will no longer be teaching it at all as the skill set ios either there or not after primary school. I want to use prezi and my sticky point is in definitions that have been written in the unit 4 spec that might be interpeted in a very powerpoint esq way rather than a general way. Hyperlink being an example.
    If you are interested in helping please read this:
    Here is the ocr forum http://social.ocr.org.uk/groups/ict/conversations/anyone-using-prezi-unit-4-multimedia-2010
    Can anyone give me a definitive answer on whether or not I am flogging a dead horse? Spent too much time on this already.

2. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

I am sick to death of powerpoint and are the kids. We will no longer be teaching it at all as the skill set ios either there or not after primary school. I want to use prezi and my sticky point is in definitions that have been written in the unit 4 spec that might be interpeted in a very powerpoint esq way rather than a general way. Hyperlink being an example.
    If you are interested in helping please read this:
    Here is the ocr forum http://social.ocr.org.uk/groups/ict/conversations/anyone-using-prezi-unit-4-multimedia-2010
    Can anyone give me a definitive answer on whether or not I am flogging a dead horse? Spent too much time on this already.

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

That horse is well and truely dead IMHO. Multiple pathways are not possible with Prezi.

4. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

That is what I thought then found this on the search this morning. Would this as a concept be suffice.
    http://prezi.com/rqeytnrg3kdk/room-and-menu-proof-of-concept/
    But it is some of the other language that worries me. For instance pop up's do they need to be included? And can user interaction mean free for all zoom in zoom out and click on the frames within prezi?

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I like that one SC. Still think you're going to have issues with it though. It always returns to a main menu whereas "alternate pathways" mean (IME) going from Meeting Room to Video Wall without going through menu.
    I could be wrong and the best source of info on this is your monderator - ask them for guidance.

6. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

Yep this appears to be the conclusion in the forums in order to access a distinction it needs this aspect. Although the exemplars do not suggest this on the website.
    The problem seems to be that a combination of me never having taught this unit and trying to do it differently means the two way communication with those that know ends up with the stock phrase "OCR do not comment on software. Can it do it phrase."
    This depends on definition of alternative pathway. If the user can choose any pathway. That is to say it is a world or prezi desktop then is this the ultimate user driven alternative pathway scenerio is it not?. When you zoom out you can see the whole menu. Then of course I am into the argument the students did not create that pathway even of they do create some click stuff, but I cannot be bothered anymore it will be a bog standard easy powerpoint with a navigation menu placed on the master slide.
    Mr Gove I am back to teaching boring powerpoint.

7. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

"I don't like the fact I have to use PowerPoint and teach kids boring skills for Unit 4"

"Don't do Unit 4"

That was simple.

Do website design, do tech innovations, do the complex Database one, do decommision and repair (U16). All could be viewed as much more useful than Unit 4... are you just picking it because it's easy, then complaining?

8. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

No you're not. Mediator, Flash, html, all good for unit 4.

9. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Powerpoint does not have to be boring in the slightest, triggered animations bring slideshows to life and if you tweak them all with some VB then you will find kids actually enjoy it. I ran my own tutorials with year 8 this year for the first time and I was really quite surprised about how many really got into it. They are very simple to follow.
    http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Powerpoint-quiz-using-visual-basic-6050535/
    There's also the old drag and drop macro technique too....

10. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

And there's the issue, really - it's a skill you can teach to Y8 and isn't really suitable for L2 GCSE when you've got much better units on offer.

11. scruffycat

scruffycat New commenter

Yep for the first award we have done sound, unit 1 and unit 2 web will be doing unit 8 innovation as a big unit so the choice is then I am looking for a big unit with a whole GCSE class. The dtp unit looks like death by screenshot and the spreadsheet and database unit is the reason I accelerate at KS4 for those that can.

Just wanted to find a Free software solution. Flash has no life span and is expensive to buy We wanted to use html 5 but again told that because it cannot operate in a stand alone package it was not suitable as is a web solution as runs in a browser. This is my point about unit 4 it is really a web unit in disguise but cannot be because of unit 2 already existing.

We intend to do video, animation and graphics anyway without the hoop jumping to achieve as units by just creating the end product and thus service the unit 4 content.

But sod it all we will just do the easy thing as there is no real rigour in the qualification is there? If there was I would not be accelerating with the able kids.

Would not be here if the GCSE offerings were better than they are. I came from the old OCR A syllabus some 8 years ago. And yes we are looking at computer science for the most able.

12. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Our map last year was:
    U1, U20
    U2, U21
    U4, U7, U8
    For the full 4 GCSEs.

Unit 8 was the weakest, Unit 4 was the easiest - some swapped it for Unit 16 and really enjoyed.

The most able then started Edexcel Applied AS