1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Play as a Central Approach to Learning Opportunities

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Lyndsey2010, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hello all This is my first time on the forum, so I hope I am doing it right.
    I am in my first year of a BA (Hons) Early Primary Education and I am in the process of writing an assignment with the following title:
    "Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using play as a central approach to creating learning opportunities" (reception childre)
    Now I have lots of books, Moyles, Bruce etc. and lots of theory on the advantages of play but I am struggling to find theory relating to disadvantages - can anyone help. Opinions on advantages and disadvantages would also be useful.
    Also I wanted to open my assignment with a quote which is allegedly by Albert Einstein "Play is the highest form of research", I can find this again and again on internet but can't pin it down to a date or where he said it, which would help me in referencing. Again any help would be great.

Cheers x

2. Hello all This is my first time on the forum, so I hope I am doing it right.
    I am in my first year of a BA (Hons) Early Primary Education and I am in the process of writing an assignment with the following title:
    "Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using play as a central approach to creating learning opportunities" (reception childre)
    Now I have lots of books, Moyles, Bruce etc. and lots of theory on the advantages of play but I am struggling to find theory relating to disadvantages - can anyone help. Opinions on advantages and disadvantages would also be useful.
    Also I wanted to open my assignment with a quote which is allegedly by Albert Einstein "Play is the highest form of research", I can find this again and again on internet but can't pin it down to a date or where he said it, which would help me in referencing. Again any help would be great.

Cheers x

3. Hello and welcome
    Have a look at this book.
    http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335237916.html
    There is an extract here
    http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/1029741/Analysis-Learning---Development---Rethinking-play/
    They are not disagreeing with play but look at the problems with some practitioners seeing play as the only way children can learn and suggest some interesting theories on why play can be negative as well as positive - an interesting read to make you think.Oh an Foucault's theories about power and discourse (not particularly about play but about power relations in institutions and how those in power use arguements for and against play to ensure their power status is maintained ( a little heavy but depends on how deep you want to go).

Good luck.

4. choralsongster

choralsongster New commenter

Have you tried the 'How children learn' series by Linda Pound, as Amazon shows they are referenced with theorists

5. Thank you, 'The Trouble with Play' is really helpful and has challenged some of my own beliefs and perceptions.

I really appreciate your help.

Lyndsey

6. Thank you for your help, I will look into that.