1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using own devices

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by SpideyClaire, Oct 1, 2020.

1. SpideyClaire

SpideyClaire New commenter

If we go into lockdown again is it reasonable for school to expect teachers to make weekly wellbeing and catchup calls to children/parents using our own mobile phones?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I wouldn't. If worried, contact your Union.

3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Do this would certainly run up your phone bill. Would the school compensate you for this?

jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. JJ83

JJ83 Occasional commenter

We are asked to - I just block my number if they answer great if not try again another day
    Not ideal if it is a regular thing though and you are out of pocket doing so

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

It's possible to get your phone to show the school's number and indeed for calls to be made at the school's expense. That's how so many organisations are running their customer service under WFH.

jlishman2158, agathamorse and strawbs like this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

How do you do this, and how do they ensure people switch between 'personal', say if they're ringing family during their lunchbreak, and professional, school number calls-especially if there's no dual sim? The reason I was always given for not being allowed to use a personal phone was because people might forget to switch their own details off.
    To answer OP, none of the teachers I know are doing this, and no parents/grandparents I know of are receiving this.

phlogiston likes this.
  8. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

They can ask - You can decline.

However, you may then legitimately be asked to go to school to make those calls....

9. Symingtons

Symingtons Occasional commenter

Really? In a lockdown we are told to work from home unless the work can't be done from home. Clearly making a phone call can be done from home - if the school thinks that is important they need to provide phones for staff to use.

10. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I don't know the answer, but the agents I have spoken with from the County Council, loss adjusters, electricity, insurance, employment agencies, who were all working from home, could possibly tell you. It's a technical question that your tech team could take to the school's telecoms provider.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Is it really such a good use of school funds to buy a load of phones? If it costs you extra to make the calls, then the school should pay. Apart from this, as long as you withhold your number, I can't see the problem.

12. Symingtons

That's fine until the technical "solution" fails, and your number becomes known to a parent, who then helpfully shares it with all their child's friends...

13. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Will your school provide you with a work mobile phone? If they do, then it’s a reasonable request. If not, then no. You may be asked to send an email to parents though through your work email account.

14. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Yes indeed - Even in a lockdown - So it may be Hobson's choice whether to raise great challenge.
    In any situational emergency lockdown, such as the one we've experienced, a government could go so far as to redirect teachers to any number or priority tasks - Part fo the governments emergency response and recovery legislation as set out in 2013.

15. TrevorCornish9

TrevorCornish9 New commenter

I think schools and universities should provide teachers any required devices, that will be used only for teaching purposes

16. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Last lockdown my creaky old laptop was fine. It could handle putting work on the vle. It cannot, however, work with the visualizer to provide a microphone so I can teach with Teams.

When I was sent home to self isolate, 3 days into term when one of the pupils I had taught in one of the 5 year group bubbles I teach tested positive for Covid, I was told it was expected I would be teaching from home asap.

I had to use the family computer. This was not ideal. My daughter needs it for her Japanese studies and my husband needs it too.

If we have to teach remotely again for a long period, however, this is not sustainable. I would need a school laptop or chromebook.

Please don't tell me to buy a new laptop; I'm the only wage earner in the household and I can't afford to.

One of my colleagues doesn't have the internet at home at all, he's never needed it. During lockdown one of his neighbours let him use his internet to upload lessons once a week. I doubt he'd let him use it for five lessons a day.

Not everyone is on the Internet and not everyone has the technology to work effectively from home.

17. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Nor should it be expected. In lockdown, as a TA I had to use my own desktop for Teams meetings and discovered that modern desktops do not have cameras or microphones built in so had to order one in April when the rest of the world also needed them. It took nearly two weeks to get hold of one.

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  18. Symingtons

I'd actually question whether the statement "In any situational emergency lockdown, such as the one we've experienced, a government could go so far as to redirect teachers to any number or priority tasks" is actually true. Information as to which law this falls under? What if the teacher isn't either suited (physically or mentally) for the "priority" task allocated to them?

Personally, I'd sign myself off sick if told/ordered to do something I didn't feel equipped to do. I doubt I'd be the only one doing so. And since, as a teacher, I was told time & time again not to use my own phone at school or for school business (for reasons I fully understood, by the way) I simply wouldn't accept the reasons given to do a 180 degree U turn for reasons of expediency...:mad:

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Back in annals (if not the anals) of time, was their not a court ruling that teachers could not be used for other duties, during their holidays, by local authorities?

20. install

install Star commenter

Nooooooooo. Just don’t do it! It’s a huge safeguarding issue and even if the school
    says to block your number. Phoning students on your own device from your home is a terrible set up. Do you actually think the school will back you if a concerned parent rightly complains about a teacher phoning on their ‘personal device from their home?