1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using 'one' in an application letter - does it sound pretentious?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gargoyle770, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Wrestling with an application letter and it has got me wondering - do people use 'one'?
    I don't use it in my normal speech or writing but using 'you' doesn't seem quite right either.
    So, I could write:
    '...one can always learn from colleagues...'
    or
    '...you can always learn from colleagues...'
    or
    '...we can always learn from colleagues...'
    (that's not actually what I'm writing, I'm just using it to illustrate my point)
    I work in an ordinary school in South London and I don't want to sound like a pretentious *****!
    Would you use 'one' or not?

2. not.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Don't use 'one' - say 'we'.

4. I agree, "we".
    Can I add my own question? When writing an application letter for an internal job vacancy, do I address it to the headteacher, or the head of governors?

5. I think "we" sounds like Watch With Mother c1958 with overtones of a nursing home carer asking brightly "And how are we today?"
    If "one" is the best word for the situation, one should use it. You should use it.

6. Middlemarch

The headteacher. Apart from the fact that the head is the person who manages staffing, in the vast majority of schools the head has accepted full delegation of all staff appointments below DHT.
    Even if you all usally call the head by her/his first name, ensure you address it 'Dear Mr/Mrs ....(insert name)'

7. Middlemarch

*usually

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I feel it always possible to learn from colleagues.

9. Not. I'd use "I". You want to get across that you are the individual who has done this not some unspecified person. "It is always possible to learn from colleagues and I take every opportunity to do so..."

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think a job application is definitely a place where writing in the first person is appropriate, but I really like airy's solution.

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

we agree