1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Using Obsolete Language

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Richie Millions, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I still listen to the hit parade on the wireless x

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i find myself writing thees and thus in some words and also other words like behold and begone.to long looking at the J biblr/////or maybe its my age lol

3. Oh dear, RF, that would have been me [​IMG]
    Guilty to all: I dial numbers, listen to records, scrounge Son2's LoveFilm DVDs and insist I am watching a video, tape stuff on the Sky+ box, still refer to the occasion upon which a young person initiates a sexual liaison with another as "getting off with", and the unintended result as "up the duff".
    Solid 70s, me.
    I have however ceased to share my bed with a tranny.

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Last year I was talking to a class about a video tape and one kid went 'oh my nan has one of them'. I'm 24. I should not be in a category with a 14 year olds grandma surely.

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

newfangled confabulation, pfft!

6. Nah, you're probably only as old as her mum.

7. oldsomeman

its when yo mention one channel.black and white tv,no mobile etc that looks of none understanding start to appear lol
    have you ever tried to ask them what a fireplace is or a coal fire?

8. 625 or 405 lines.......light wave or home service?

9. oldsomeman

third programme?

10. posh git. :¬))

11. I remember telling my son about the 3 channels we used to have and only an hour and half of kids programmes every day.
    He looked gobsmacked,

12. Richie Millions

I used to like waiting for the valves to warm up x

13. Richie Millions

We had one rich kid in our Street he owned the car and television he was very popular in 1953 for the Queens Coronation x

14. I used to eat supper.

15. Richie Millions

On buying a new Mini Cooper S last year I asked the salesperson (22) how long the "running in period" was. The following discussion was mutually illuminating.

16. Richie Millions

I still ride a push bike.

17. I have had to explain that when I was at school the question was not "What is your mobile number?" but "Are you on the phone?" We were, because Dad was self employed, but not everyone was. This was deepest darkest Cornwall, mind, where there be dragons. And it was the 70s.

18. Richie Millions

I still check before speaking on the telephone that the neighbours are not on the "party line"

19. lol...we had a party line.

20. So it was you ...you are Mrs. Jennings from no. 57.